Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There is plenty of evidence to support the thesis of a species-determined limit to life span. Among the most obvious clues is the great variability in the maximum attainable age between animal groups, existing coincident with the highly specific longevity of each individual species.

About 'existing',

question #1: What 'exists' here? The maximum attainable age between animal groups?
question #2: About the usage of the adjective 'coincident' after the intransitive 'exist(ing)', is it grammatically the same kind as, say, 'young' in 'He died young'? Or is it something else?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
question #1: What 'exists' here? The maximum attainable age between animal groups?
No, just the animal groups.

question #2: About the usage of the adjective 'coincident' after the intransitive 'exist(ing)', is it grammatically the same kind as, say, 'young' in 'He died young'? Or is it something else?
I would understand this sentence more easily if it were written as: "...between animal groups, each of which exists [STRIKE]existing[/STRIKE] coincident with the highly specific longevity of each individual species.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
About #2, it seems like we basically have the same idea. Thanks.

About #1

No, just the animal groups.

then what exactly does 'the each animal group exists coincident with the highly specific longevity of each individual species' mean?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Q: then what exactly does 'the each animal group exists coincident with the highly specific longevity of each individual species' mean?

A: "...that each animal group exists in agreement with - in harmony with the highly specific longevity of each individual species."

Does this answer your question, Taka?

John

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Q: then what exactly does 'the each animal group exists coincident with the highly specific longevity of each individual species' mean?

A: "...that each animal group exists in agreement with - in harmony with the highly specific longevity of each individual species."

John

Does it simply mean that each animal group has specific longevity?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
More context would help, but no, I would say that it means each animal group exists in harmony with the highly specific longevity of each species.

John

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I'm trying to make things clearer, John.

Does it mean that longevity is species-dependent?

And here 'each animal group' is not a synonym for 'each species'?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Was that written by a native speaker?

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
No clue.

For your information, here is the rest of what I've got:

...Another suggestive biological observation is the average number of offspring of any animal form, which proves to be inversely related to the form's maximum life span. An animal like man, needing not only considerable period of pregnancy but an extraordinarily long time before its young are biologically independent, requires a prolonged reproductive life span to ensure survival of the species, and that is exactly what we have been given. Humans are the longest-living mammals.

You don't think it's written by a native speaker?

Written by a native speaker or not, could you explain what the sentence in questionーthe one with 'existing coincident' aboveー really means, tdol?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think it's a native speaker.

What they mean is that the two things exist alongside each other- the considerable variations of lifespan found in different species and the relatively restricted lifespan within a species. This is evidence for the thesis.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
British/American/Canadian/Australian/NZ/etc scientists and sociologists don't count as native speakers.;-)

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

OH, you don't think so. I see.

It seems like you think what exists coincident with the highly specific longevity of each individual species is not animal groups as John says but the great variability, don't you, tdol?

Last edited:

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
British/American/Canadian/Australian/NZ/etc scientists and sociologists don't count as native speakers.;-)

Then it would follow that there are very few native speakers I've ever seen.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.