Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why do we use "flat" to mean "exactly" or "and no more", as in "He finished the race in 4 minutes flat" or "I'll be there in nothing flat"? What is "flat" about an exact time span?

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
* Not a teacher

Flat means that the track is plain (no hurdles, no uphill/downhill etc.). (1st example)

Sorry, I might have misinterpreted your question, I was a little bit confused by the context.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Why do we use "flat" to mean "exactly" or "and no more", as in "He finished the race in 4 minutes flat" or "I'll be there in nothing flat"? What is "flat" about an exact time span?
Because that is one of its meanings.

Last edited by a moderator:

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I think entry 5 here provides some insight into this - Flat | Define Flat at Dictionary.com. I mean, in a way "flat" does mean "exactly" - you are just talking about its figurative meaning vs. literal.

wwvusa

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think entry 5 here provides some insight into this -...(link removed).... I mean, in a way "flat" does mean "exactly" - you are just talking about its figurative meaning vs. literal.

I accept that words take on extended meanings through figurative and metaphorical usage. What I'm curious about is how the basic meaning of "flat" came to be associated with 'precision' or 'exactness', and particularly in relation to time span or duration. I've never heard it applied to quantity of space or number (*I paid five dollars flat.* / *From here to there is two miles flat.*) Why just time, and how does 'flatness' relate to time, and what aspect of flatness aids my understanding of precision or exactness?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I believe it comes from volume versus time measurements in some industry in which piles were made. A flat bushel of grain, or a flat vessel of sand, is more exact than a hilly shaped pile. Perhaps in sand timers the term was expanded to include time measurements, and then the other volume measures fell out of general public use. In French, the equivalent is "cinq heures pile" or "Five o'clock 'pile'" meaning flat, or exact.

wwvusa

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe it comes from volume versus time measurements in some industry in which piles were made. A flat bushel of grain, or a flat vessel of sand, is more exact than a hilly shaped pile. Perhaps in sand timers the term was expanded to include time measurements, and then the other volume measures fell out of general public use. In French, the equivalent is "cinq heures pile" or "Five o'clock 'pile'" meaning flat, or exact.

Thanks. The French origin is very plausible, and your imagery reminded me of the cooking term "level" as in "1 level teaspoon", implying precision and exactness. Merci.

Psiconaut

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think the same. In that case it states that it lasted exactly 4 minutes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The "4 minutes flat" has been covered but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "I'll be there in nothing flat". I have never heard that usage at all. If I were telling someone that I would arrive very quickly, or in a very short period of time, I would say "I'll be there in no time at all". I have never heard your example.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Probably means the same as "I'll be there pronto.'
:-D'

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"... be there in nothing flat".

I hear this occasionally but mostly in reference to someone else rather than oneself.
"I can't get my son to do anything around the house, but if his girlfriend needs a hand he's over there in nothing flat!".
Also: "... he'll be there like a shot".

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.