English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes:1113999 Pk No: 42770

Should the bride's family shell out to decorate the house the bridegroom's family buy?
As has been said several times, 'pk' is meaningless in English; 'versus' is possible.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not being able to read Chinese, that doesn't help me at all. I still have no idea what Pk means.
Ok,Let me put the Chinese chart into English:

Do you agree to the view of man in charge of affaires outside house while woman inside?

YES:111399 Pk NO: 42770

.Should the bride family shell out to decrate the house the bridegroom family buy?

.Citizens crossing the river not choosing the ordinary way Go to work by mobile vehicle

That's all.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Ok,Let me put the Chinese chart into English:

Do you agree to the view of man in charge of affaires outside house while woman inside?

YES:111399 Pk NO: 42770

.Should the bride family shell out to decrate the house the bridegroom family buy?

.Citizens crossing the river not choosing the ordinary way Go to work by mobile vehicle

That's all.
Sorry ! Before I wrote the above , I couldn't see my the first translation of the chart and its following ,owing to my carelessness. I should have written the bride's family and the bridegroom's family.
Beg your parden!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry ! Before I wrote the above , I couldn't see my the first translation of the chart and its following ,owing to my carelessness. I should have written the bride's family and the bridegroom's family.
Beg your parden!

1.correction: my the first translation should be my first...
2.what does 5jj mean by "coceive"? I cannot look it up in all my dictionaries.
3.From pronuciation, Pk is more like from "pick" ,which means to choose, in my humble eyes. The Chinese people know little about soccer,let alone "penalty kick". Of course foot ball is well known in China.
4.In my origianl post I guessed "pk" may mean " against" ,it approaches to "versus".
Thank all those who attended here!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
2.what does 5jj mean by "coceive"? I cannot [STRIKE]look it up [/STRIKE] find it in [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] any of my dictionaries.
Sorry - that was a typo. It should be 'conceive'. I have now corrected it in my original post.

ps. If you say that you could not find it in all your dictionaries, there could be a suggestion that you were able to find it in some.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As has been said several times, 'pk' is meaningless in English; 'versus' is possible.
If pk is versus,the Chinese people really go mad. Because Pk has nothing to do with versus both in pronunciation and in form. They can choose any one or two letters from the alphabet to express the idea without limitation. Why they will choose these two letters still remains a secret .
Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If pk is versus,the Chinese people really go mad. Because Pk has nothing to do with versus both in pronunciation and in form. They can choose any one or two letters from the alphabet to express the idea without limitation. Why they will choose these two letters still remains a secret .
Thanks!

Well, if they can use any two letters then it's not only meaningless in English, it's also meaningless in the original language!

In the example you posted, we wouldn't use anything between the two sets of votes, not even "versus".

Should the bride's family pay to decorate the house that the groom's family buy?
Yes: 11,345 No: 8,160

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, if they can use any two letters then it's not only meaningless in English, it's also meaningless in the original language!
I'm beginning to think you can say the same about this whole thread.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This thread now Pk watching paint dry.

Ooh, that's gonna be close!

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
He reports:

111399 “agree” Vs 42770 “don’t agree”.
Pk comes from Soccer ball term “Penalty Kick”, a stronger meaning of Vs.

Hey Bob,

It looks like "PK" is being used in China as a slang word derived from the shorthand "Player Kill" not "Penalty Kick"... courtesy of western computer game imports.

The background is that in some of these role playing games, one can challenge some internet opponent to a duel: "Come on pk me!".

Now check out the Mandarin entry in this Wiktionary .

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hey Bob,

It looks like "PK" is being used in China as a slang word derived from the shorthand "Player Kill" not "Penalty Kick"... courtesy of western computer game imports.

The background is that in some of these role playing games, one can challenge some internet opponent to a duel: "Come on pk me!".

It has a good foundation! I have to accept it!
Thanks very much!
Thanks to all who appeared here!

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey Bob,

No, it means verses in this context, IMO.

Can it ever mean "player kill"? Of course it can, just not in the OP. Is it used in AmE or BrE? No, never.

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It has a good foundation! I have to accept it!
Thanks very much!
Thanks to all who appeared here!

notletrest, I think this assessment is much much better than the penalty kick idea.

The jump from PK (player kill) to versus is an easy one:

In those computer games people meet to challenge one another to a duel and use the short hand PK as in the example

"Come on, PK me..."

And the logical jump I think is like this colloquial use of the word "versus"

"Come on, verse me!"

This is probably one of those non-standard use of the word becoming standard for good or worse. I first heard my kids say it (Australian Primary school age) a couple of years ago.

I did a little digging so you don't have to take my word, check this out. It looks like they are doing it in America as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.