Thread: questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions

Hi Teacher,

I have difficulty understanding the clauses or phrases in red. Please give me a hand.

1. Is he over his head financially?

2. ‘Ladies’ is a euphemism for females sent to compromise the opposition.

3. That’s is, buddy, throw me a few crumbs.

4. Sure, I ‘m great. Except that I’m a fucking eunuch. Scratch the adjective.

5. "You’re doing a fine job. You’re helping to protect us against the hordes. "
    "The hordes?"
    "Those who try to bring this great country to its knees."

Thanks a lot.

hobbes is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: questions

1. Is he over his head financially?

In over your head - think 'drowning', if you are 'in over your head' the situation is so large / deep that you cannot cope & risk failure (death).
    Another similar idiom would be "is he biting off more than he can chew" by taking on too large a responsibility.

2. ‘Ladies’ is a euphemism for females sent to compromise the opposition.

I would think 'ladies' in this occasion is 'prostitutes' or 'women of ill repute' sent to get information (via 'pillow talk') from the opposition.
    eg. Think of two large companies, sports teams or warring nations - one uses 'loose women', to get information out of the others male workers/ players/soldiers. Not openly, but as spies.

3. That’s is, buddy, throw me a few crumbs.

Sarcastic. "Throw me a few crumbs" - "just give me what is left", "take all of the good 'things' for yourself and leave me almost nothing"

4. Sure, I ‘m great. Except that I’m a fucking eunuch. Scratch the adjective.

I presume the adjective here would be 'f***ing'.

To be a eunuch is to have no testicals, typically a purposely castrated male. It is a play on words - using the sexual meaning of 'f**king' - as to have intercourse and it's other meaning to suggest intensity on the following word.
    But a eunuch is 'powerless' and has no sexual urges. SO, depending on the context - it would either mean that if it is about a REAL eunuch - he can't perform a sexual act due to impotence. If describing a situation, that he is great but powerless. eg. A fantastic detective, but he is not allowed at the crime scene.

5. "You’re doing a fine job. You’re helping to protect us against the hordes. "
    "The hordes?"
    "Those who try to bring this great country to its knees."

The Hordes simply refers to a large unruly, often evil or demonic 'army'. Think of 'Lord of the rings' or 'Gladiator '- the battle scenes with barbarians - they are "The hordes".