Does "high levels" refer to "the hight levels of VEGF"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

Ovarian cancer is associated with high concentrations of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a protein associated with tumor growth and spread. Avastin precisely inhibits VEGF, high levels, which are associated with ascites development (excess fluid in the body cavity), disease worsening, and a poorer prognosis in ovarian cancer patients.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Context:

Ovarian cancer is associated with high concentrations of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a protein associated with tumor growth and spread. Avastin precisely inhibits VEGF, high levels, which are associated with ascites development (excess fluid in the body cavity), disease worsening, and a poorer prognosis in ovarian cancer patients.

It's hard to say, as it's very badly written. I think the main sentence is
Avastin precisely inhibits VEGF. (High levels [of this] are associated with ascites development..., disease worsening, and a poorer prognosis in ovarian cancer patients).

But I don't know enough about ovarian cancer to say whether my supposition makes sense.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is a bit of a mess, but I would also interpret it as meaning high levels of VEGF.

Status
Not open for further replies.