Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. wotcha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 735
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Was the journey/travel long?

    My Grammar in Use (Elementary) says

    Don't say "Was the travel long?" and I don't know why.

    PS: Some people say it is because travel is a verb, but travel can be a noun too. ㅡ.ㅡ

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,417
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Was the journey/travel long?

    We just don't say that "travel" is long or short.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Was the journey/travel long?

    Individual 'units of travel' are journeys or trips

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,608
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Was the journey/travel long?

    Quote Originally Posted by wotcha View Post
    My Grammar in Use (Elementary) says

    Don't say "Was the travel long?" and I don't know why.

    PS: Some people say it is because travel is a verb, but travel can be a noun too. ㅡ.ㅡ
    The reason is simple. We only ask "Was X long?" if X can be measured (in length or time). "Travel" is an abstract noun, and doesn't have specific properties like this. If you want to refer to a specific instance of travel, as 5jj said, you have to instantiate it with a different word.

    PS: That's an interesting item of punctuation you've used. How should we interpret it?

  4. wotcha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 735
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Was the journey/travel long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The reason is simple. We only ask "Was X long?" if X can be measured (in length or time). "Travel" is an abstract noun, and doesn't have specific properties like this. If you want to refer to a specific instance of travel, as 5jj said, you have to instantiate it with a different word.

    PS: That's an interesting item of punctuation you've used. How should we interpret it?

    You mean this? ㅡ.ㅡ ?
    This is one of the most common emoticons in Korea which means I'm embarrassed or curious or shy or ... sometimes grouchy....and so on. It consists of two Korean vowels and a point between them. ^.^
    Last edited by wotcha; 28-Dec-2011 at 07:02.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,608
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Was the journey/travel long?

    Quote Originally Posted by wotcha View Post
    You mean this? ㅡ.ㅡ ?
    This is one of the most common emoticons in Korea which means I'm embarrassed or curious or shy or ... sometimes grouchy....and so on. It consists of two Korean vowels and a point between them. ^.^
    OK, thanks. I'll tuck that away somewhere for when I learn Korean.

  6. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,879
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Was the journey/travel long?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    We just don't say that "travel" is long or short.
    And while 'Was the journey long' would be acceptable in my cases, the more common way of putting it is 'Was it [or 'Have you had'] a long journey?]' When someone has just arrived you can simply ask 'Have you come far?', and spare yourself the bother of wondering which noun to use.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. journey/travel/trip
    By hooshdar3 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2011, 20:27
  2. travel,trip,journey
    By Radman in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2010, 12:36
  3. [Grammar] Trip, journey, travel
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2008, 18:09
  4. travel/journey
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2007, 20:34
  5. Journey Trip Tour Travel
    By daniakagui in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2006, 13:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •