Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    deafartist is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    For Februar

    I read a book in English. I noticed the words.

    You corrected my English :I got up from the chair
    there are the words in a book I read, also : I got up from the desk

    Its very nice to work together with you if you want.

  2. #12
    deafartist is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    Quote Originally Posted by jadams View Post
    Whats the difference between English or American writer. I feel you means a British or American one.
    I write both British and American English.

  3. #13
    februar's Avatar
    februar is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    Quote Originally Posted by deafartist View Post
    For Februar

    I read a book in English. I noticed the words.

    You corrected my English :I got up from the chair
    there are the words in a book I read, also : I got up from the desk

    Its very nice to work together with you if you want.
    Well, my thought was that if I get up from the desk I was sitting on the desk not on the chair. Maybe I’m wrong and someone can help us. What about “I got up from the desk chair”?

  4. #14
    februar's Avatar
    februar is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    Quote Originally Posted by deafartist View Post
    I write both British and American English.
    Then in British English please.

  5. #15
    deafartist is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    Quote Originally Posted by februar View Post
    Then in British English please.
    I will write British English.

  6. #16
    deafartist is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    i show it to you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails get up2.jpg  

  7. #17
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    Quote Originally Posted by februar View Post
    Well, my thought was that if I get up from the desk I was sitting on the desk not on the chair. Maybe I’m wrong and someone can help us. What about “I got up from the desk chair”?
    'She got up from the desk' in the sense of 'she got up from the desk at which she had been sitting' is possible, but I understand why you made you change.

    @deafartist
    februar's profile shows that s/he is not a native speaker, and s/he always makes it clear in her/his first post that s/he is not a teacher. You must therefore not expect 100% accuracy. However, proofreading takes a lot of time, and februar is one of the few people in the forum who regularly makes an effort to help out. Writing after correction by februar is almost always clearer and more correct grammatically than it was when it was first posted.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  8. #18
    februar's Avatar
    februar is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    Quote Originally Posted by deafartist View Post
    i show it to you
    Thank you for showing me the sentence, also to 5jj for the reply.

  9. #19
    deafartist is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: who correct my English

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    'She got up from the desk' in the sense of 'she got up from the desk at which she had been sitting' is possible, but I understand why you made you change.

    @deafartist
    februar's profile shows that s/he is not a native speaker, and s/he always makes it clear in her/his first post that s/he is not a teacher. You must therefore not expect 100% accuracy. However, proofreading takes a lot of time, and februar is one of the few people in the forum who regularly makes an effort to help out. Writing after correction by februar is almost always clearer and more correct grammatically than it was when it was first posted.

    Thank you for your explanation. Are you a English teacher? Are you a native English? I saw your profile that you live in Czech Republic.

    yes I am not a native language. I am still studying English skills. I wondered whether the books by known authors who write English have been corrected with the help of proofreaders, right? Or sometimes not?

    i am looking forward to hear from you. thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Is this correct english
    By Shara fi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2009, 14:04
  2. Correct english
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2009, 12:14
  3. Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2006, 18:25
  4. Correct English
    By lady c in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2006, 06:31
  5. please correct my english
    By smiley in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2005, 16:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •