Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I cannot understand when we can use education or educational. Eg: we say "Education system or Educational system", or "Reduce the size of classes may improve Education or Educational standards"? Please help! I lost marks in two test because of this problem

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I cannot understand when we can use education or educational. Eg: we say "Education system or Educational system", or "Reduce the size of classes may improve Education or Educational standards"? Please help! I lost marks in two test because of this problem
Use "education" in both examples.

bogialaoleu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
But I took the second eg from Cambridge Dictionaries Online. It uses Educational. It's really hard to distinguish. Please explain to me! :-?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
But I took the second eg from Cambridge Dictionaries Online. It uses Educational. It's really hard to distinguish. Please explain to me! :-?
"Reduce the size of classes may improve Educational standards"
Are you saying that you found the above in Cambridge Dictionaries Online?
It's not even a correct sentence, I would write it like this "Reducing class sizes may improve standards of education".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The sentence in Cambridge is Reducing the size of classes may improve educational standards.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use either "educational standards" or "standards of education" in that example.

bogialaoleu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Oh sorry, yeah, It must be "Reducing the size of classes". But they're just examples. I dont really...care about the answers. I just want to know the use of two words.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please use only English in this forum.

bogialaoleu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Why do we use Education for Education system. And why do we use Educational for the sentence: "Reducing the size of classes may improve educational standards"?

BruceDeitrickPrice

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Educational" is an adjective and is usually your first choice in modifying a noun. Thus "educational choices" is perfect English.

The problem comes with the fact that English (and Germanic languages generally) is very accepting of using NOUNS AS ADJECTIVES. Thus, we say "education choices" and might even pile on the nouns like this: "education choices anxiety" or some such. This phrase is clumsy and annoying but not illegal. In some contexts it might even be clever.

For several decades the overuse of nouns proliferated in USA. I called this tendency "Nounspeak" and ridiculed it. The excesses have abated.

The best English is lean English. Keep adjectives to a minimum, especially adjectives that are actually nouns!

(For a somewhat scholarly look at this matter, Google "An Inquiry Into Modifier Noun Proliferation.")

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why do we use Education for Education system. And why do we use Educational for the sentence: "Reducing the size of classes may improve educational standards"?
I think the clue is that "we" don't do those things. Cambridge Dictionaries writes one form, you write another, your teacher thinks a different form is correct. Members here will disagree.
People use different forms. You can't guarantee against the loss of marks this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.