Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Nordic Bill is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP w/ prepositions in and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    About 15 years ago, after graduating from university, some friends and I took a trip to visit London. One early, rainy morning, as my friends were preparing to leave the hotel for breakfast, one friend asked, "Do you wanna come with?", to which I replied, "Come with what?" I was also somewhat confused about how to interpret the "come with" part, and I'm Canadian. Seems to me that "come with" has been around for some time, and that it's not just 14 to 15 year olds that are using it. I believe it reflects, or at least used to reflect yuppy-type language, and the reason Seinfeld refers to it.
    This is truly amazing - I first noticed this about a year ago in that teenage flick. Mind you, I used to know a Canadian-Danish guy (who spoke Danish fluently) and he used to laugh at himself for saying "come with", "go with", so although I have heard this uttered before, I just assumed it was unique to Scandinavians speaking English (and their kiddies who were raised on Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, etc.). I had never heard it used outside that group.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello - i like it. Please go on, i like how the both of you converse. I'd like to read. I like both your grammars. I watch your prepositions too! ... hihihihihi

I'm learning for sure! and pls. don't mind me.

Ana

Nordic Bill is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm learning for sure! and pls. don't mind me.
    What do you mean, "Don't mind me"?! Heck, we're glad people take an interest in speaking correctly so your participation is more than welcome! And I'm glad this is all helping you with your English studies

And as you have probably noticed, we natives continue to learn as well and you can bet I'm making notes of all this stuff!

By the way, in case you are wondering as to how to ask the "come with" question properly, it would be "Do you want to come along?" or just plain "Do you want to come?".

Take care,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Bill
    What do you mean, "Don't mind me"?! Heck, we're glad people take an interest in speaking correctly so your participation is more than welcome! And I'm glad this is all helping you with your English studies

And as you have probably noticed, we natives continue to learn as well and you can bet I'm making notes of all this stuff!

By the way, in case you are wondering as to how to ask the "come with" question properly, it would be "Do you want to come along?" or just plain "Do you want to come?".

Take care,
    Bill
    Hi :) Most of the time, i want to be the observer or listener especially from pros. like yourselves. There are many gossips in my town (hihihi) and i'd rather read books or be on this site.

You people are very helpful and kind. What comes around goes around.
    If you keep on helping people, you will be rewarded ten more times from up above and i assure you. (it's the law of life)
    Please take care.
    kisses - ana
    Last edited by anasiants; 07-Nov-2005 at 14:08.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5