Nordic Bill is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exam terminology

I have a couple of vocab-related questions regarding North American university exams if anyone is able to help me with these.

1. What do you call the room where the exams take place? Logic tells me “examination room”, but somehow that brings images of medical centres and stethoscopes to mind. Naturally, there wouldn’t be a specific room used exclusively twice a year for this purpose (it would be the auditorium or an available classroom), but I would assume there is a special reference to the room when students are sitting in there taking their exams. Would it be “exam room” by chance?
    2. What do you call the school staff entrusted with the duties of handing out and collecting the exams, ensuring no cheating goes on, confiscating cell phones, etc. The Danish-(British) English dictionary shows “proctor”. Granted, selected members of the teaching staff probably assume this role, but this particular duty must have a term. (?)
    3. What is that piece of paper lying before you with all your questions on it? The “exam paper” or just plain “exam”?

You must excuse my ignorance in these school-related matters. Canadian high school was 29 years ago and all my other exams have since been held in Iceland and Denmark ... in Icelandic and Danish respectively.

With exam season coming up, I may have some additional questions relating to this topic, but this posting would attain gargantuan proportions so I'll sit on them for now and fire these few off right away. If this is anyone's area of expertise, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Bill

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Exam terminology

1- If it's a large exam, then you'll here 'hall' in Bre.
    2- I'd say 'invigilator'
    3- Either

Post Thanks / Like

1. What do you call the room where the exams take place?

For regular class exams, these are taken in the same room the class or lecture is given. There are no specific test/exam rooms.

2. What do you call the school staff entrusted with the duties of handing out and collecting the exams, ensuring no cheating goes on, confiscating cell phones, etc. The Danish-(British) English dictionary shows “proctor”. Granted, selected members of the teaching staff probably assume this role, but this particular duty must have a term. (?)

The ones who give out the tests for a class are the professors/instructors. The same person who teaches the class.

3. What is that piece of paper lying before you with all your questions on it? The “exam paper” or just plain “exam”?

Exam, test, sometimes with 'paper' added. If it's at the end of the semester or term it's called a 'final'. It's the last exam of the semester.
    Spirrah

Post Thanks / Like

1)"Test centers" are places common for all examinees from different colleges and schools. Graduate Record Examinations calls them so.

2) watchdog,supervisor

Regards
    drdolittle :)

Post Thanks / Like

My choices:

1. exam room

2. invigilator
    Note, to invigilate is to supervise/oversee and exam. The invigilator can be a student.

3. exam (sheet, paper, booklet)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for helping me out with this one. By the way, "invigilator" does seem correct and also checks out in other dictionaries. Mind you, "watchdog" is a cute one I'll make a note of too!

Rgs,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Just for more information,"Watchdog" is a word used in Microprocessor to control timing. If you are an engineer you might have a better understanding,thereofore i won't get into it's technical details.

Regards
    drdolittle

Post Thanks / Like

That one I am not familiar with, unfortunately.

I do, however, contribute facts and corrections to a watchdog website on airline safety.

Other than the few we have mentioned here, the only watchdogs I am familiar with are the ones wearing spiked collars!

Bill