• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Post CELTA equal to Bachelor's degree?

Hi all, first of all compliments for the forum is full of useful information, I don't know if this is the right section to post this thread so I apologize in advance if it isn't, anyway I'm a native Spanish speaker I'm fluent in English and I'd like to get the CELTA certification in order to teach English abroad, I'm in my early twenties and I have no university degree but I know that in order to get a work permit as a teacher in some countries one need to have at least a Bachelor's degree, now I don't know much about the UK education system but I found out that the CELTA is a level 5 qualification just like a bachelor's degree so my question is is the CELTA like a Bachelor's degree in full? can I directly access a postgraduate program with a CELTA? and if it isn't like a bachelor's degree is there a way to make it a Bachelor's degree like for example taking some exams at the university? Obviously the same questions apply for the DELTA since it's a level 7 qualification like a Master's degree. Thank you in advance for your help.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CELTA equal to Bachelor's degree?

Level 5 is not Bachelor's degree level- it is equal to a Foundation degree and qualifications like HNDs. A Bachelor's degree is level 6.
    Ofqual - Explaining the National Qualifications Framework
    National Qualifications Framework

bbq99 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you for your reply, and is there a way to go from CELTA (level5) to Bachelor's degree? I mean will the universities recognize it and make me start from level 5 instead of making me start from the beginning (high school diploma I suppose)? this way I should only attend the last year of a Bachelor's degree, and what about DELTA (level 7) and Master's degree?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard of CELTA being used this way. It's hard to see how a CELTA could be used to replace two years of a university degree unless the degree is in ESL- how would you have covered the materials for those years?

Another thing to think of is whether other countries will recognise equivalence if you can do it- they set their standards and may only want graduates who have taken a full degree course. The requirements for Korea, one of the key markets, are that the person is a native speaker (with a passport from US, CA, UK, IR, AS, NZ, SA) with a full degree. I am not sure that they would recognise a CELTA and a year at a university as a full degree.

In the more competitive schools and countries, you may find things more difficult anyway if you are a Spanish national- there's a bias, rightly or wrongly, for native speakers- there are also gender, ethnicity and age biases in some countries, and in some places they even ask for a full-length photo, presumably because they have a bias against people of certain builds and/or looks. If you're going to do it, I would say either do the CELTA then go to places where degrees are not obligatory or get a full degree. With high unemployment among young people in many English-speaking countries, the market is awash with graduates with the CELTA- so much so that salaries are being driven down in many places. These are the people you will be in competition with- it's not just a question of getting a work permit, it's also a question of getting work.

DELTA can be used that way in MAs- I am not sure whether all do, but I have seen some that do.
    Last edited by Tdol; 05-Jan-2012 at 07:19.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Although DELTA and the Trinity DipTESOL are recognised as Level 7 (Master's level) by the British Office of Qualifications and Examinations Registration, that does not mean that they are universally accepted as Master's degrees, or even as equivalent to Master's degrees..

In many countries in which a Master's degree is a requirement for a certain level of job, DELTA and DipTESOL are not accepted. If you wish to take a Master's degree in ELT/Applied Linguistics, you may well find that your DELTA/DipTESOL gives you exemption from only a small part of the course and only at some universities.
    Last edited by 5jj; 05-Jan-2012 at 10:52. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I was unclear- I meant that some MAs give some exemption for the DELTA. Here are some:
    http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/d...xemptions.html
    Last edited by Tdol; 05-Jan-2012 at 08:34.

bbq99 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

yes of course I was talking about getting an ESL degree or similar anyway are you telling me that in the case of an Bachelor's ESL degree it can be done?
    And regarding DELTA I followed your link and it's interesting but does that mean that one has direct access to a Master's degree course without a Bachelor's degree?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbq99 View Post
    y Yes of course I was talking about getting an ESL degree or similar. a Anyway are you telling me that in the case of an Bachelor's ESL degree it can be done?
    Each university will have its own policy on this. There is no universal answer. However, I am pretty sure that no university will allow you you to take just the final year of a first degree on the strength of a CELTA.

And regarding DELTA I followed your link and it's interestin, but does that mean that one has direct access to a Master's degree course without a Bachelor's degree?
    Once again, each university has its own policy on this. At many universities, at least some Master's degree courses are open to people without a Bachelor's degree, if they have experience which the university considers shows them to be capable of successfully completing the course.

bbq99 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again, each university has its own policy on this. At many universities, at least some Master's degree courses are open to people without a Bachelor's degree, if they have experience which the university considers shows them to be capable of successfully completing the course.
    For example in this case:
    Sheffield Hallam
    MA TESOL
    60 credits to DELTA holders (i.e. they are exempt from the Postgraduate Certificate, which forms the first part of the MA).
    My understanding is that the Postgraduate Certificate is a higher level of education than a Bachelor's degree therefore I am (or should be) exempt from the Bachelor's degree as well.
    Is this correct?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbq99 View Post
    Quote: Sheffield Hallam
    MA TESOL
    60 credits to DELTA holders (i.e. they are exempt from the Postgraduate Certificate, which forms the first part of the MA).
    My understanding is that the Postgraduate Certificate is a higher level of education than a Bachelor's degree therefore I am (or should be) exempt from the Bachelor's degree as well.
    Is this correct?
    No.

All that says is that if you have a DELTA you will be permitted to start with the second part of the MA. You will not be required to take the first part, the Post-graduate certificate. Nothing can be inferred about a Bachelor's degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast