Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Can anyone explain why a person from Ireland is Irish, from Wales, Welsh, from Scotland, Scottish but from England, British (or a 'Brit')?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
People from The Republic of Ireland are Irish. Those from Scotland are Scottish and British, those from Wales are Welsh and British, and those from England are English and British.

There is a certain political sensitivity about people from Northern Ireland. They are British, in the sense that they are British citizens, but they may describe themselves in different terms depending on their religious and political beliefs. Many Unionists do not consider they are Irish (they are certainly not Irish citizens), but many Republicans do feel that they are Irish (though they are British citizens).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can anyone explain why a person from Ireland is Irish, from Wales, Welsh, from Scotland, Scottish but from England, British (or a 'Brit')?

I thought people from England were English.

They all (except Irish) also qualify as British, since the island itself is called Great Britain.

RobMasters

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
I thought people from England were English.

They all (except Irish) also qualify as British, since the island itself is called Great Britain.
Interesting.
The island that contains England, Scotland and Wales is not called Great Britain. And, in actual fact, there is no such physical place as 'Britain'. There is a Kingdom of Britain, however, to which England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all belong. Hence a Scot is as much a 'Brit' as is an Englishman.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's not what I was taught.

Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great Britain or Britain (Welsh: Prydain Fawr, Scottish Gaelic: Breatainn Mhòr, Cornish: Breten Veur) is an island situated to the northwest of Continental Europe. It is the ninth largest island in the world, and the largest European island, as well as the largest of the British Isles.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The island that contains England, Scotland and Wales is not called Great Britain. And, in actual fact, there is no such physical place as 'Britain'. There is a Kingdom of Britain, however, to which England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all belong. Hence a Scot is as much a 'Brit' as is an Englishman.
As Soothing Dave correctly pointed out, that is not correct at all.

There is an island called Great Britain. There is no Kingdom of Britain. There is a sovereign state whose official name is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Informally, there certainly is a place called Britain.

By the way, 'great' means 'large'.The 'small' one is now known in English as Brittany.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As Soothing Dave correctly pointed out, that is not correct at all.

There is an island called Great Britain. There is no Kingdom of Britain. There is a sovereign state whose official name is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Informally, there certainly is a place called Britain.

By the way, 'great' means 'large'.The 'small' one is now known in English as Brittany.

Do you mean the island containing the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I misread your post - Thought you had just written 'Britain' (and I was nitpicking anyway about the 'Great').
Your first question was an odd one for someone from England to ask. post #4 contains incorrect information. I don't see how misreading Dave's post would have made any difference to your answer - you were the one who first used 'Britain' without 'Great - incorrectly.

Please think about your messages before you post them. People not unnaturally assume that a retired academic from England will give accurate information.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you mean the island containing the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland?
That island is called 'Ireland'.

The island called 'Great Britain' contains England, Scotland and Wales.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was asking which one you called "Brittany."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I was asking which one you called "Brittany."
I meant the small 'Britain', not the small island. It is the region in France. That was Britannia minor, and modern Great Britain was Britannia major.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant the small 'Britain', not the small island. It is the region in France. That was Britannia minor, and modern Great Britain was Britannia major.

That makes sense. I thought you meant a small island.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
People from The Republic of Ireland are Irish. Those from Scotland are Scottish and British, those from Wales are Welsh and British, and those from England are English and British.

There is a certain political sensitivity about people from Northern Ireland. They are British, in the sense that they are British citizens, but they may describe themselves in different terms depending on their religious and political beliefs. Many Unionists do not consider they are Irish (they are certainly not Irish citizens), but many Republicans do feel that they are Irish (though they are British citizens).
People from the six counties have the right to Irish citizenship if they choose. I don't know how many do, very few unionists I would imagine.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.