Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    dut_thinker is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default focusing or focused

    Hi teachers

    For the following two sentences, I don't know which one is right? Could you please give me some hints?
    (1) My research is focusing on ....
    (2) My research is focused on ....

    I perfer the first one. But in this forum certain post said that "In Spain, English courses are normally focused on reading and writing". So I am totally confused.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dut_thinker; 05-Jan-2012 at 11:26.

  2. #2
    crazYgeeK is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Quote Originally Posted by dut_thinker View Post
    Hi teachers

    For the following two sentences, I don't know which one is right? Could you please give me some hints?
    (1) My research is focusing on ....
    (2) My research is focused on ....

    I perfer the first one. But in this forum certain post said that "In Spain, English courses are normally focused on reading and writing". So I am totally confused.

    Thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure if your use of the present continuous tense in the first sentence is correct (I would use simple tense like as 'My research focuses on ...'), but anyhow 'focus' in the first one is intransitive while 'focus' in the second one is transitive (in passive form). I think both are fine but have a little different meaning.

    I hope to see the comments from the teachers.
    JUST A LITTLE STUDENT.

  3. #3
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    The first one describes the focusing as an ongoing action - not yet completed. The second describes a completed action.

    So, does your research have a focus or is it still in the process of focusing?

  4. #4
    dut_thinker is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Quote Originally Posted by crazYgeeK View Post
    I'm not sure if your use of the present continuous tense in the first sentence is correct (I would use simple tense like as 'My research focuses on ...'), but anyhow 'focus' in the first one is intransitive while 'focus' in the second one is transitive (in passive form). I think both are fine but have a little different meaning.

    I hope to see the comments from the teachers.
    JUST A LITTLE STUDENT.
    Thank you for your reply, crazYgeeK.

  5. #5
    dut_thinker is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    The first one describes the focusing as an ongoing action - not yet completed. The second describes a completed action.

    So, does your research have a focus or is it still in the process of focusing?
    Thank you for your reply, SoothingDave.
    There is something which is not yet clear.

    If we just want the sentences grammatically correct without considering their meanings, are the following two sentences acceptable?
    (1) My research focuses on ....
    (2)My research focused on....
    Last edited by dut_thinker; 06-Jan-2012 at 05:43.

  6. #6
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Both are grammatically OK.

  7. #7
    dut_thinker is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Both are grammatically OK.
    Thank you so much.

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Quote Originally Posted by dut_thinker View Post
    Thank you for your reply, SoothingDave.
    There is something which is not yet clear.

    If we just want the sentences grammatically correct without considering their meanings, are the following two sentences acceptable?
    (1) My research focuses on ....
    (2)My research focused on....
    Those two are both OK, as is "My research is focused on ..."

  9. #9
    dut_thinker is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Those two are both OK, as is "My research is focused on ..."
    Thank you for your reply.

    According to all your replies, all the
    (1) My research is focusing on...
    (2)My research is focused on...
    (3)My research focuses on...
    (4)My research focused on..

    are grammatically correct.
    No. 1 and no. 3 are talking about the ongoing research while no. 2 and no. 4 are related to completed research.

  10. #10
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: focusing or focused

    Quote Originally Posted by dut_thinker View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

    According to all your replies, all the
    (1) My research is focusing on...
    (2)My research is focused on...
    (3)My research focuses on...
    (4)My research focused on..

    are grammatically correct.
    No. 1 and no. 3 are talking about the ongoing research while no. 2 and no. 4 are related to completed research.
    No. #4 is about completed research. #2 is about research that is ongoing, but the focus has been completed. If the research was complete, you would say "My research was focused on..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Jan-2012, 15:28
  2. [General] Focused or Focussed
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2009, 15:57
  3. stay focused on?
    By sky753 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2008, 13:20
  4. focusing curriculum
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2008, 05:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •