[General] how to address a universitary teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi everybody,
I'm struggling trying to write an e-mail to a professor at the university since I don't know if I should address him either as Doctor or as Professor.

I searched the web and found many different explanations.
Some people say that Doctor is anyone who has a PhD, some others that Professor is a higher qualification.
Some people say that Doctor is to be preferred in Britain and Professor in the USA.

Where is the truth?

So my question is:
given that my teacher has a PhD, would it be offensive to address him as Professor?
Or would it be offensive to address him as Doctor, since Professor is a higher qualification?
In this case my teacher is the head teacher for the subject.

In my country Professor is an higher title, but I don't know in Britain, and my teacher is English.

thank you so much for your help.:)
bye bye

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's an element of truth in both definitions, and they're both flawed. 'Professor' isn't a qualification; it's a position. US universities are more inclined to give people such status - it's all part of the typical status inflation that affects the modern world. (Some companies have 30 or 40 Vice-Presidents). I expect part of the pressure for it is due to the melting pot of language among US immigrants; in many European languages the prof- word just means teacher.

Autobigraphical tid-bit: I was taught Romance Philology by one Dr Cremona. He was a leading authority, widely published, and by far the most knowledgeable in this area on the staff of the University. But the 'Professor of Romance Philology' was a man who was a distinguished classicist - not a philologist, and retired from any teaching duties; so Jo (my teacher) was not a Professor. In contrast, a post-graduate student in a US university will have the job position 'Assistant Professor' and expect to be addressed as 'Professor'.

As a rule of thumb, call someone 'Professor' if you know they are. In British universities, most holders of PhDs (or DPhils) are not Professors, and should be addressed as 'Doctor'

b

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you so much Bobk :).
Now everything is clear :)

Status