Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: develop

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #11

    Re: develop

    People who are about to respond would be put off by your reminders.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #12

    Re: develop

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    People who are about to respond would be put off by your reminders.
    why?it was just a reminder.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #13

    Re: develop

    As Tdol explained, it's not very polite. Like tedtmc, I am often put off by reminders. If I am giving up my free time to answer questions, I do not react well when people remind me that they are still waiting. Waiting for what - for me to deal with them more quickly?

    I do not expect gratitude for doing what I enjoy doing, but I will not be pushed. I'll just move elsewhere and deal with someone who is waiting patiently.
    Last edited by 5jj; 13-Jan-2012 at 07:33. Reason: typo

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #14

    Re: develop

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    As Tdol explained, it's not very polite. Like tedtmc, I am often put off by reminders. If I am giving up my free time to answer questions, I do not react well when people remind me that they are still waiting. Waiting for what - for me to deal with them more quickly?

    I do not expect gratitude for doing what I enjoy doing, but I will not be pushed. I'll just move elsewhere and deal with someone who is waiting patiently.
    I didn't know you would be so much off-put after reading the reminder......But what if some1 has forgotten about my thread?it had been gathering dust...

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #15

    Re: develop

    Hooshdar
    You should have put it in a more subtle and polite way then, instead of 'giving a reminder'.

    Learning a language also includes learning to say things in a polite way or you get misunderstood as being pushy or rude.

  2. JohnParis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 774
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #16

    Re: develop

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post

    I do not expect gratitude for doing what I enjoy doing....
    Well, I do (sorry to disagree 5jj).

    I have told you at least twice before, hooshdar3, that saying "please" and "thank you" are essential in learning English and understanding the cultures of the English speaking world. People are less apt to respond to questions simply thrown at them without a modicum of civility or politeness (see your first post).

    I will no longer be responding to your posts. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
    John
    Last edited by JohnParis; 13-Jan-2012 at 13:39.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #17

    Re: develop

    Quote Originally Posted by hooshdar3 View Post
    I didn't know you would be so much off-put after reading the reminder......But what if some1 has forgotten about my thread?it had been gathering dust...
    This point has been addressed, but you are still pushing it. So be it. I join the departing crowd.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #18

    Re: develop

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnParis View Post
    Well, I do (sorry to disagree 5jj).

    I have told you at least twice before, hooshdar3, that saying "please" and "thank you" are essential in learning English and understanding the cultures of the English speaking world. People are less apt to respond to questions simply thrown at them without a modicum of civility or politeness (see your first post).

    I will no longer be responding to your posts. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
    John
    Oh, pleaase don't leave me.

    I will wait for your answers, but I didn't know you would consider a simple reminder rude. If so, Why would you regard an advice "gratifying" and a reminer "rude"?
    Last edited by 5jj; 13-Jan-2012 at 23:04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. further develop
    By Allen165 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-May-2010, 19:39
  2. (to) develop(s)
    By diver in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2010, 11:37
  3. I wish you will develop
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2009, 17:35
  4. [Grammar] How to use develop...
    By JoeRayland in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2009, 05:04
  5. develop yourself
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Dec-2007, 14:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •