Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Still "Young Goodman Brown"... There is the last (I hope ;-)) scene in this story where a hero and his wife are standing just before ceremony of them being "baptized" by devil is to be held; they are looking at each other, hesitating, and... such a sentence then comes by:

"What polluted wretches would the next glance shew them to each other, shuddering alike at what they disclosed and what they saw!"...

I find this sentence presenting some sort of universal truth, yet the phrase in bold is kinda not clear to me. Any clearing up suggestions, please...:)

P.S.
"What polluted wretches", "what they disclosed and what they saw" - maybe it's they experience of being present at the devilish ceremony where they were not expected to be...? :-?

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
shew = show or reveal (to each other)

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Yeah, I knew it but, ok. I think, firstly I got it wrong. Namely, I took pronoun "what" as a subject: "What did pollute them it would shew them to each other, ...". So now I deem it not to be the case. The subject of the sentence is supposedly I think, "polluted wretches"... So then: "... polluted wretches would shew them to each other, ..." But still I get lost about this phrase "the next glance". Should I understand it in the sense "at the next glance", or " with the next glance", or... just something else? :-?

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well I will try . . .

next glance/ would show / polluted wretches
(to) them

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"What polluted wretches would the next glance shew them to each other, shuddering alike at what they disclosed and what they saw!.
It seems to mean something like: The next glance (at each other) would reveal themselves to be, in each others' eyes, polluted wretches.

That's my best guess.

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Yeeeeah! This is a revelation, man! So, the subject then would actually be... the "NEXT GLANCE"!!! :shock: What a "wretched" guy I am! I've used all possible subject candidates except the right one... :lol:

You know, there is such a saying well known in my country: "If you need to make up your mind about some important issue in your life and you really don't know what to do, go and ask your wife and then... do exactly opposite - that would be the best choice." ;-) (writer's translation). I think I sometime got to use a slightly modified version of this lore in my English studies... :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What a "wretched" guy I am! I've used all possible subject candidates except the right one... :lol:
That was a difficult sentence!

I had to read through it several times before I was (fairly) sure about its meaning.

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Thank's man, that was really awesome! :up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank's man, that was really awesome! :up:
OK - I boosted you up; now I'll slap you down ;-). There is no apostrophe in "thanks".

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
:oops:

But honestly, I didn't mean it; it was a typo. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe you.

I have to - I am the typo-champion of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.