Post Thanks / Like

cliche or idiomatic expression?

Hi

"we will stand behind you" - is this a cliché or idiomatic expression? and what does it
    mean?

if this is not a cliche or idiomatic expression. Then, what is the idiomatic expression or cliche for "we will stand behind you"?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by anasiants; 02-Nov-2005 at 20:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cliche or idiomatic expression?

First, its meaning is compositional, or rather, follows the meaning of the indiviudal words it's composed of. So, it's not an idiomatic expression.

Second, the idea it expresses is not trite. It houses important meaning.

Third, it's a phrasal verb:

stand behind
    To aid the cause of by approving or favoring.

Synonyms: advocate, back, champion, endorse, get behind, plump for, recommend, side with, stand by, support, uphold.

Idioms: align oneself with, go to bat for, take the part of.

M56 Guest

[QUOTE=Casiopea]First, its meaning is compositional, or rather, follows the meaning of the indiviudal words it's composed of. So, it's not an idiomatic expression.
    QUOTE]

So you think that in every case the speaker will LITERALLY stand behind the addressee?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point. Are there dictionaries out there that list "stand behind" as an idiom, and if so, would you be willing to provide that information for the poster? That would add to the thread in a meaningful way.

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Good point. Are there dictionaries out there that list "stand behind" as an idiom, and if so, would you be willing to provide that information for the poster? That would add to the thread in a meaningful way.
    The question asked was about the idiomatic nature of the expression "stand behind" and you say it is in no way idiomatic. Do you distinguish between the words "idiomatic expression" and "idiom" (as understood by the general public)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M56
    The question asked was about the idiomatic nature of the expression "stand behind"
    Please take the time and effort to read the poster's question carefully.
    and you say it is in no way idiomatic.
    I believe I've been misquoted there.
    Do you distinguish between the words "idiomatic expression" and "idiom" (as understood by the general public)?
    What are your thoughts? This is a discussion forum, and I've yet to read your contribution. By the way, who is "the general public", would that be the one in Scotland, Spain, Canada, the USA or the UK?

Post Thanks / Like

Gigurative Presentation of Meaning

"To stand behind someone" cannot be said to be an idiom since this would contradict the very definition of an "idiom."
    "To stand behind someone" means "to support someone" and belongs to the category of Figurative Language.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gigurative Presentation of Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by omidonline
    "To stand behind someone" means "to support someone" and belongs to the category of Figurative Language.
    Nice addition, omidonline. I'm certain the poster will be grateful to you for clearing that up.

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Please take the time and effort to read the poster's question carefully. I believe I've been misquoted there. What are your thoughts? This is a discussion forum, and I've yet to read your contribution. By the way, who is "the general public", would that be the one in Scotland, Spain, Canada, the USA or the UK?
    I read the poster's question very carefully. That's why iI didn't see him/her asking about idioms. I only saw The words "idiomatic expression".

<<"we will stand behind you" - is this a cliché or idiomatic expression? and what does it
    mean?

if this is not a cliche or idiomatic expression. Then, what is the idiomatic expression or cliche for "we will stand behind you"?>>

You claimed that "stand behind" is not an idiom, but do you see it as an idiomatic expression in some uses?

Why did you ask me to look for an entry in a dictionary that would state it was an idiom? I never said it was an idiom.

As to your "who is the General Public"...

When you said that "stand behind" is not an idiom, which definition of "idiom" were you using?