Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Austria
Hi, I'm preparing for the CAE exam at the moment and was wondering if someone could take a look at a character reference I wrote.
Thanks a lot :)

Prompt:

You have been asked to provide a reference for a friend of yours who has applied for a job as a receptionist in an English language college. The person appointed will be good at dealing with a range of different people and will have excellent administrative skills.
You should include information about your friend’s character and personal qualities and skills, their previous relevant experience and reasons why they should be considered for this job.
Write your reference in 220 – 260 words.

Character reference

To whom it may concern
SUSAN SMITH
I have known Susan Smith for 8 years, as a friend at school and later on as a work colleague. We both graduated from the same school and then we worked together at a pharmacy, where she was serving and advising people.
At the pharmacy Susan has always proved herself as a person, who is able to deal with all sorts of people straightaway, helping them with their problems. Both, as a servant and in school I remember her being helpful all the time. She has always offered her help to everybody. In fact, I would go as far as to say that she is the most helpful person I have ever known in my life.
In addition Susan has fantastic language knowledge in English, German and French, which makes it even easier for her to deal with people from all over the world.
I regret having to say something negative about Susan but she does not have the best organizing qualities. But every time she had to deal with a difficult administrative challenge, she showed her willingness to ask other people and learn new things, to master the assignment.
I believe that Susan would make a very good job as a receptionist at your college, because she has no problem dealing with almost all sorts of people and therefore I have no hesitation in supporting her application.
237 words

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[not a teacher]

The "....." is my attempt to simulate a <tab>.

To whom it may concern,
[STRIKE] SUSAN SMITH[/STRIKE]
.....I have known Susan Smith for 8 years, as a friend at school and later on as a work colleague. We both graduated from the same school and then we worked together at a pharmacy, where she [STRIKE]was serving[/STRIKE] served and [STRIKE]advising [/STRIKE] advised people.
.....At the pharmacy, Susan [STRIKE]has always[/STRIKE] proved herself as a person [STRIKE] , [/STRIKE] who is able to deal with all sorts of people straightaway, helping them with their problems. Both[STRIKE] , as a servant[/STRIKE] at work and in school, I remember her being helpful all the time. She [STRIKE]has [/STRIKE]always offered her help to everybody. In fact, I would go as far as to say that she is the most helpful person I have ever known in my life.
.....In addition Susan [STRIKE]has fantastic language knowledge in[/STRIKE] speaks English, German and French fluently, which makes it even easier for her to deal with people from all over the world.
.....I regret having to say something negative about Susan, but she does not have the best [STRIKE]organizing qualities[/STRIKE] organizational skills. But every time she had to deal with a difficult administrative challenge, she showed her willingness to ask other people and learn new things [STRIKE], [/STRIKE] to master the assignment.
.....I believe that Susan would make a very good [STRIKE]job as a [/STRIKE] receptionist at your college, because she has no problem dealing with [STRIKE]almost [/STRIKE] all sorts of people and therefore I have no hesitation in supporting her application.

Sincerely,
Mr. Lu Nighty-four, Ph.D.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd suggest:

Demonstrating organizational skills on the job challenges Susan, but every time she has to deal with a difficult siutation, she shows her willingness to ask other people and learn new things in order to master the assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.