Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi all,

I wonder if 'shout at no one' means 'shout but no one answer/react'? Just heard the lines from a TV show. Thanks a lot if you want to response :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi all,

I wonder if 'shout at no one' means 'shout but no one answer/react'? Just heard the lines from a TV show. Thanks a lot if you want to response :)
If you heard it on a TV show, you would have noticed the context. Why not tell us in what context this happened. Is it a command. It is advice. WHo said? Why? Was the program a comedy. Did people laugh at this line.
Do you really think this question is answerable without further information? Why do we have to guess all this stuff?

OK, yes it could mean that. And it probably doesn't.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,

Without the complete dialogue it's difficult to understand, but as a command it would mean "do not shout at anyone". However if the statement were something like "He began to shout at no one", it could mean that his shouting was not directed to anyone in particular.

Selviya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
If you heard it on a TV show, you would have noticed the context. Why not tell us in what context this happened. Is it a command. It is advice. WHo said? Why? Was the program a comedy. Did people laugh at this line.
Do you really think this question is answerable without further information? Why do we have to guess all this stuff?

OK, yes it could mean that. And it probably doesn't.

I'm really sorry. I just heard it, not listen or watch it. I just passed by the television and heard that phrase, so I didn't remember the entire lines.I've tried to find the meaning at Google but couldn't find one. But if I'm not mistaken, the speaker was narrating a story, so definitely it wasn't an order. Anyway thanks for your correction. Next time I'll make sure I get the whole context before asking in this group.

"Without the complete dialogue it's difficult to understand, but as a command it would mean "do not shout at anyone". However if the statement were something like "He began to shout at no one", it could mean that his shouting was not directed to anyone in particular. "

Thanks a lot, billmcd. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.