Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quote from VOA:
"Miranda's new album, "Four The Record," debuted at Number One. She becomes the only artist in the Country Album chart's history to enter in the top spot with each of her first four releases. Last year, Miranda recorded a side project with singer-songwriter friends Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley as Pistol Annies. The trio's "Hell On Heels" album also opened at Number One on the Country list.
Since the 2005 release of her major label debut album "Kerosene," Miranda has charted her own musical course. Her fans have understood her personality from the beginning, but Miranda's feisty attitude stood in the way of radio success early in her career. She finally developed a relationship with Country radio with the release of her 2009 album, "Revolution," which produced two Number One hits."
My questions:
1.Does "Album chart" show which albums have sold the most ,or which albums are
the most popular (requested most, voted most) ones ?
2. Can "in" be omitted?
3.Does "her first four releases" mean her first four albums or her four songs in her first album?
4. Does "chart" mean sth like " plan"?
Thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Yes, top selling albums.
2. Yes
3. Her first 4 albums. It's talking about the album chart. Top selling individual songs (singles) would be listed on a different chart.
4. Yes. Before you go on a voyage you chart your course.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Quote from VOA:
"Miranda's new album, "Four The Record," debuted at Number One. She becomes the only artist in the Country Album chart's history to enter in the top spot with each of her first four releases. Last year, Miranda recorded a side project with singer-songwriter friends Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley as Pistol Annies. The trio's "Hell On Heels" album also opened at Number One on the Country list.
Since the 2005 release of her major label debut album "Kerosene," Miranda has charted her own musical course. Her fans have understood her personality from the beginning, but Miranda's feisty attitude stood in the way of radio success early in her career. She finally developed a relationship with Country radio with the release of her 2009 album, "Revolution," which produced two Number One hits."
My questions:
1.Does "Album chart" show which albums have sold the most ,or which albums are
the most popular (requested most, voted most) ones ? Usually based on sales.
2. Can "in" be omitted? Yes.
3.Does "her first four releases" mean her first four albums or her four songs in her first album? Currently, "releases" refer to albums.
4. Does "chart" mean sth like " plan"? Yes.
Thanks.
b.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
2.Are "enter" and "enter in" both correct? Any difference?
3.I searched "Miranda Lambert " on Wiki, it turned out it was her four hit singles from her first album, maybe single is kinda release too.
Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
3.I searched "Miranda Lambert" on Wiki, it turned out it was her four hit singles from her first album, maybe a single is [STRIKE]kinda[/STRIKE] a kind of release too.

Thanks.

Yes. Singers/groups usually release a single (or several singles) and then release an album.

Note: please don't use textspeak such as "kinda" on the forum. Use "kind of". In your particular context, "a type of" would have been better.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2.Are "enter" and "enter in" both correct? Any difference? No difference in that statement.
3.I searched "Miranda Lambert " on Wiki, it turned out it was her four hit singles from her first album, maybe single is kinda release too. Could be either. I'm not familiar with Miranda's music so I assumed they were albums.
Thanks.
b.

Status
Not open for further replies.