Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there guys, I have drafted a motivation letter for an msc in finance and was hoping for any tips or feedback whether it be positive or negative, thanks.

I am very committed to a career in finance and have been to several career presentations and open days, whilst also speaking to recruiters to research this area in more depth. Therefore, undertaking a Masters in Finance would be an essential first step towards my career ambition.

I currently possess a strong theoretical basic understanding of finance, lacking practical application of these concepts and I am therefore interested in this course because it encapsulates an advanced insight into novel financial practices pertaining to organisational and practical contexts, whilst concurrently developing an understanding of accounting and general management tools, making the course a diverse and challenging proposition.

My short-term goal is to secure a job as an analyst at a bulge bracket investment bank or a consultant at one of the big four audit firms. My long-term goal is to attain a professional qualification such as the CFA or CIMA. Therefore the modules on offer within this course such as financial modelling, financial option pricing and financial statements: theory, practice, critique to name a few, will be a beneficial prerequisite as I can leverage my current knowledge with these new learned skills to aid me in successfully attaining one of my desired qualifications.

My interest in finance stems from a combination of academia and work experience. I originally studied the subject at college where I thoroughly enjoyed preparing financial statements and conducting financial ratios. I had to opportunity to put into practice much of the taught theory when working for a small partnership as a bookkeeper and assisting the managers in preparing cash flow forecasts and profit and loss accounts on Excel. This insight conveyed the significant role finance has to the daily operations of a business and propelled my desire to pursue a career within finance on a corporate scale.

My degree incorporated many statistical, quantitative, business and financial modules that have helped me to grasp a basic solid foundation and understanding of accounting principles and financial conventions, which will aid me in successfully completing this course. I look to gain from this course an understanding of the practical applications of these conventions that I could successfully utilise in a work situation.

Business and finance are ubiquitous in my life and in my spare time I co-founded a social music networking site. My role included completing the finance section of the business plan and I am currently budgeting spend and researching e-commerce initiatives. I am a keen global markets enthusiast and keep abreast of the latest developments taking place by regularly reading the World Finance magazine and the Financial Times. I regularly but and sell shares on my virtual portfolio via bullbearings, which coupled with my interest in global markets, has instilled a penchant for investments. My other hobbies include playing football, practicing martial arts and reading fictional and mathematical books.

Ultimately, I will bring a desire to succeed where I will regularly contribute within lectures, group discussions and social activities. I feel I can share my passion, knowledge and experiences in finance with fellow peers and helping them with any issues whilst simultaneously learning from them. Furthermore, I see this as vital platform to achieving my future goals.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there guys, I have drafted a motivation letter for an msc in finance and was hoping for any tips or feedback whether it be positive or negative, thanks.

I am very committed to a career in finance and have been to several career presentations and open days ("open days"? Is this a BrE term?), whilst also speaking to recruiters to research this area in more depth. Therefore, undertaking a Masters in Finance would be an essential first step towards my career ambition.

I currently possess what I believe to be a strong theoretical basic understanding of finance, lacking practical application of these concepts and I am therefore interested in this course because it encapsulates an advanced insight into novel financial practices pertaining to organisational and practical contexts, whilst concurrently developing an understanding of accounting and general management tools, making the course a diverse and challenging proposition. (This is one of the longest sentences the world has ever known. Break it up.)

My short-term goal is to secure a job as an analyst at a bulge bracket investment bank (BrE?) or a consultant at one of the big four audit firms. My long-term goal is to attain a professional qualification such as the CFA or CIMA. Therefore the modules [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] offered [STRIKE]within[/STRIKE] in this course such as financial modelling, financial option pricing and financial statements. (Another record!) It includes theory, practice, critique to name a few that will be [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] beneficial prerequisites. The course will allow me to [STRIKE]as I can [/STRIKE]leverage my current knowledge with these new learned skills to aid me in successfully attaining one of my desired qualifications (?, how about objectives, ambitions, goals).

My interest in finance stems from a combination of academia and work experience. I originally studied the subject at college where I thoroughly enjoyed preparing financial statements and conducting financial ratios. I had [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the opportunity to put into practice much of the [STRIKE]taught[/STRIKE] theory when working for a small partnership as a bookkeeper and assisting the managers in preparing cash flow forecasts and profit and loss accounts on Excel. This insight [STRIKE]conveyed[/STRIKE]identified the significant role finance [STRIKE]has to [/STRIKE] plays in the daily operations of a business and propelled my desire to pursue a career within finance on a corporate scale.

My degree incorporated many statistical, quantitative, business and financial modules that have helped me [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] grasp a basic solid foundation and understanding of accounting principles and financial conventions, which will aid me in successfully completing this course.(Now I'm really out of breath, BREAK IT UP!) I look to gain from this course an understanding of the practical applications of these conventions that I could successfully utilise in a work situation.

Business and finance are ubiquitous in my life and in my spare time I co-founded a social music networking site. My role included completing the finance section of the business plan and I am currently budgeting spend (?) and researching e-commerce initiatives. I am a keen global markets enthusiast and I keep abreast of the latest developments taking place by regularly reading the World Finance magazine and the Financial Times. I regularly [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] buy and sell shares on my virtual portfolio via bullbearings, which coupled with my interest in global markets, has instilled a penchant for investments. My other hobbies include playing football, practicing martial arts and reading fictional and mathematical books. (...and writing run-on sentences :)_.

Ultimately, I will bring a desire to succeed where I will regularly contribute within lectures, group discussions and social activities. I feel I can share my passion, knowledge and experiences in finance with fellow peers and helping them with any issues whilst simultaneously learning from them. Furthermore, I see this as vital platform to achieving my future goals.

Not bad. A few suggestions. I hope you don't mind a little humor, maybe very little.

solipsisticmind

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
LOL I have a sense of humor so don't worry about it, also I have been known to have the longest sentences in the world, it has always annoyed my tutors and lecturers throughout my education, I was known as the waffler :-D! Thanks a lot for the pointers, they were very helpful, I am making the amendments right now.
As you can see by the sentence above, I struggle to cut my sentences LOL! I'm going to try and cut them down as good as I can.
Once again thanks a bunch for the help :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.