English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Teachers,
Could you correct this letter for me please?
Dear XXX,
Thank for very much your apologies. The pages I would like to use are the ones that contain the 25 episodes of 'The Man Who Escaped', so 25 pages in total. I would also like to use the pages where the short stories are written, 25 in total too. Regarding to your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred. In electronic format is much more difficult to say. I guess it is really difficult to know it.

Thanks in advance

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
not a teacher

Dear XXX,

[STRIKE]Thank for very much your apologies. [/STRIKE]You apologies are accepted. The pages I would like to use are the ones that contain the 25 episodes of 'The Man Who Escaped', so 25 pages in total. I would also like to use the pages where the short stories are written, 25 in total too. Regarding [STRIKE]to [/STRIKE]your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred. In electronic format is much more difficult to say (sentence incomplete). I guess it is really difficult to know [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE].

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Teachers,
Could you correct this letter for me please?
Dear XXX,
Thank for very much your apologies. The pages I would like to use are the ones that contain the 25 episodes of 'The Man Who Escaped', so 25 pages in total. I would also like to use the pages where the short stories are written, 25 in total too. Regarding to your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred. In electronic format is much more difficult to say. I guess it is really difficult to know it.

Thanks in advance
Dear XXX,
Thank you very much for your apologies. ("apologies" is a bit odd, what do you mean by it?) The pages I would like to use are the ones that contain the 25 episodes of 'The Man Who Escaped', so 25 pages in total. I would also like to use the pages where the short stories are written, 25 in total too. Regarding (to) delete "to" your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred. In electronic format it is much more difficult to say. I guess it is really difficult to know it. Delete this.
The suggestions above would improve it.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
not a teacher

Dear XXX,

[STRIKE]Thank for very much your apologies. [/STRIKE]You apologies are accepted. The pages I would like to use are the ones that contain the 25 episodes of 'The Man Who Escaped', so 25 pages in total. I would also like to use the pages where the short stories are written, 25 in total too. Regarding [STRIKE]to [/STRIKE]your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred. In electronic format is much more difficult to say (sentence incomplete). I guess it is really difficult to know [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE].

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ted,
Thank you so much for your reply and corrections.
Shouldn't it be, 'Your apologies are accepted'?

This is the mail that has been send to me. Maybe the sentence doesn't look incomplete now.

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your enquiry. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response to your request.
We are now processing your request but are aware that there has been a significant delay since you first sent in your enquiry, for which we apologise. Could you please let us know whether you still require this permission and if so, let us know how many pages/words of text you wish to use and how many students will have access to this material both in print and electronic format. A copy, scanned if possible from the original book would be very useful.

L54

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Dear XXX,
Thank you very much for your apologies. ("apologies" is a bit odd, what do you mean by it?) The pages I would like to use are the ones that contain the 25 episodes of 'The Man Who Escaped', so 25 pages in total. I would also like to use the pages where the short stories are written, 25 in total too. Regarding (to) delete "to" your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred. In electronic format it is much more difficult to say. I guess it is really difficult to know it. Delete this.
The suggestions above would improve it.

Hi sir,
Thank you so much for you reply and corrections.
The mail that has been sent to me me is this one. I've written, 'Thank you very much for your apolopgies' because of the second sentence in the mail.

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your enquiry. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response to your request.

We are now processing your request but are aware that there has been a significant delay since you first sent in your enquiry, for which we apologise. Could you please let us know whether you still require this permission and if so, let us know how many pages/words of text you wish to use and how many students will have access to this material both in print and electronic format. A copy, scanned if possible from the original book would be very useful.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yikes! Don't mention their apology at all! You're the one making a request, and their apologies are just part of being polite. By starting off "accepthing their apologies" you risk sounding like you think you're superior to them, but lowering yourself a bit to interact with tem.

Simply start by thanking them for getting back to you.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yikes! Don't mention their apology at all! You're the one making a request, and their apologies are just part of being polite. By starting off "accepthing their apologies" you risk sounding like you think you're superior to them, but lowering yourself a bit to interact with tem.

Simply start by thanking them for getting back to you.
Hi Madam,
Thank you for your commentaries. So I should start the letter by saying, 'Thank you for getting back to me. etc.'.

L54

PS '... to interact with them. Right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Madam,
Thank you for your commentaries. So I should start the letter by saying, 'Thank you for getting back to me. etc.'.

L54

I think so, yes. I would say something like "Thank you for your response. I can confirm that I wish to continue with my request..."

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think so, yes. I would say something like "Thank you for your response. I can confirm that I wish to continue with my request..."

Hi,
Thanks again for your help.;-)

Best,
L54

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi L54
Yes, that was a typo.
The sentence still looks incomplete to me.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi tedtmc,
Thank you for your reply.
This is how the mail ended. Does the sentence still look incomplete to you according to the mail that has been sent to me?
Dear xxx,
'... I would also like to use the pages where the short stories are written, 25 in total too. Regarding your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred, one hundred and fifty. In electronic format it is much more difficult to say.'

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's fine, it's not incomplete.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure who you're making this request to, but you are asking to use 50 pages, with a 100-150 copies of each. You may need to be prepared for a negative response.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I'm not sure who you're making this request to, but you are asking to use 50 pages, with a 100-150 copies of each. You may need to be prepared for a negative response.
Hi Madam,
Maybe not. Let's be positive. Down below you have my original mail. They stopped publishing the book years ago. Besides that, you can find the episodes on the Internet. I just want to be legal, that's all.

Dear Madam / Sir,

I am writing about
Kernel Lessons Intermediate
First Published 1971
Authors: Robert O'Neill, Roy Kingsbury, and Tony Yeadon
ISBN: 0 582 52240 4

I would like to request permission to use parts of this in my face to face English classes, and in the near future for classes on-line.
Specifically, I wish to use all the episodes of 'The Man Who Escaped', and the short stories from each unit. If possible, I would also like to adapt some of the short stories to current times.
I look forward to hearing from you.
xxx

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The fact that it's out of print should help your case!

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The fact that it's out of print should help your case!
Hi Madam,
That's exactly what I thought!:-D:-D
I'll let you know the end of the story if you wish.

Best,
Learning

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In electronic format it is much more difficult to say.

Care to explain, Bhai?
"In X format this will happen, in Y format it's much more difficult to say."

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Regarding your question about how many students will have access to this material in print, there will be around one hundred, one hundred and fifty. In electronic format it is much more difficult to say.'
I know 'in electronic format' refers to the material which the students will have access to.
Can the sentence be shortened just like that?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They stopped publishing the book years ago. Besides that, you can find the episodes on the Internet.

May I ask what you mean by "the episodes" of the book?

Status
Not open for further replies.