Post Thanks / Like

Default proper meaning of words

Hello:

I am new to this forum and i have some question about the real meaning of some words in this article, considering its unique context.

the article is as follow:

The barometer of his time, Jagger yet resisted the temptation to branch out from the Rolling Stones into too many uncharted areas. An appearance in the movie Ned Kelly revealed that he was unable to come up with a convincing Australian/Irish accent. The experiment was not repeated. Jagger was even less concerned about expressing himself in a literary form, unlike others of his generation. The most articulate of the Rolling Stones has frankly admitted that he could not even remember sufficient details of his life to pen a ghosted biography.

there are some questions regarding some words in the passage
    1. what is the real meaning of "barometer" in the first sentence?
    2. what does it mean by "uncharted area"in the 2nd sencence?
    3. what is a "ghosted biography"?

hopefully someone can help me here
    thanks in advance for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: proper meaning of words

Quote Originally Posted by enghuei
    Hello:

I am new to this forum and i have some question about the real meaning of some words in this article, considering its unique context.

the article is as follow:

The barometer of his time, Jagger yet resisted the temptation to branch out from the Rolling Stones into too many uncharted areas. An appearance in the movie Ned Kelly revealed that he was unable to come up with a convincing Australian/Irish accent. The experiment was not repeated. Jagger was even less concerned about expressing himself in a literary form, unlike others of his generation. The most articulate of the Rolling Stones has frankly admitted that he could not even remember sufficient details of his life to pen a ghosted biography.

there are some questions regarding some words in the passage
    1. what is the real meaning of "barometer" in the first sentence? Indicator
    2. what does it mean by "uncharted area"in the 2nd sencence? unknown
    3. what is a "ghosted biography"? the basics to be embellished by a ghost writer whose name will not be published

hopefully someone can help me here
    thanks in advance for the help
    xxx

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm....
    can anyone help me here?
    i'm at a lost ....

Post Thanks / Like

Jagger is the most articulate amongst his band memebers. Since jagger was very popular at his time, many band groups might have welcomed him to join their group. But he resisted though he had a reason as his accent wasn't accepted by a majority of people. His accent doesn't seem to develop as his band memebers were sailing in the same boat.

Barometer means a standard to measure talent. Jagger was an expert at his field, and therefore he was the barometer of his time.

Rolling stones was a famous band group. As i told earlier, he was offered by many uncharted(unknown),that is, band groups that still remained nascent.

And you are right about the meaning of the word ghostwrite. He pens a biography embellished with his experiences.

Regards
    drdolittle