Verification required, pls- "graduated in" or "graduated from"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y-o-u-s-e-f

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
Hi all,

Many years back, I remember when I wrote:

"...... graduated from the university of ...", my English professor corrected it to " graduated in the university of...."

Being a native speaker of British English and holder of PhD in English literature, I gave in to his correction after discussing my inclination to using "FROM" in stead of "IN", but he insisted that "IN" is the correct prep. to use.

Well he knows better as a native speaker and a highly educated person :roll:

I abode by my professor's correction ever since, but many people started correcting me now claiming that "graduated from university" is the correct form.:-?

I'd really appreciate your input regarding the above. At least, tell me if you've any solid proof of the correct preposition to use.

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: Verification required, pls- "graduated in" or "graduated from"?

Hi all,

Many years back, I remember when I wrote:

"...... graduated from the university of ...", my English professor corrected it to " graduated in the university of...."

Being a native speaker of British English and holder of PhD in English literature, I gave in to his correction after discussing my inclination to using "FROM" in stead of "IN", but he insisted that "IN" is the correct prep. to use.

Well he knows better as a native speaker and a highly educated person :roll:

I abode by my professor's correction ever since, but many people started correcting me now claiming that "graduated from university" is the correct form.:-?

I'd really appreciate your input regarding the above. At least, tell me if you've any solid proof of the correct preposition to use.

Thanks
Generally we graduate "from" a university and "in" a subject.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: So the second and third elisions are crucial. 'He graduated from MIT from math' would be wrong, but 'He graduated from MIT, where he studied math' would be right (though naturally I'd prefer Cambridge/mathS of course. ;-))

b

Y-o-u-s-e-f

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya

"To graduate in a subject from a university".

That sounds right and is a good compromise. ;-)

Thank you very much for your input. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.