Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think "might have lost all hope" is a counterfactual imaginary situation that didn't actually happen, but "feeling so lonely = As I felt so lonley" is not an ordinary phrase in a conditional. Usually "If S+had+pp" appears, but as this is a background reason for the result clause, this can be possible. I need someone's more explanation.

ex)There was a time in my life when I was feeling very lonely. I didn't think I had any friends. Every day I came home to an empty house with an empty heart. Feeling so lonely, I might have lost all hope. But my dog, Fluffy, was always at the door waiting for me. She seemed to know whenever I was sad or lonely. One time she even gave me a gift: an old bone. She must have thought the bone would cheer me up. Those bad times passed eventually, but they would have been a lot more difficult if it had not been for my faithful companion, Fluffy.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's counterfactual- the person didn't lose hope, though they were in a situation where they could have done so.

sumon.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I think "might have lost all hope" is a counterfactual imaginary situation that didn't actually happen, but "feeling so lonely = As I felt so lonley" is not an ordinary phrase in a conditional. Usually "If S+had+pp" appears, but as this is a background reason for the result clause, this can be possible. I need someone's more explanation.

ex)There was a time in my life when I was feeling very lonely. I didn't think I had any friends. Every day I came home to an empty house with an empty heart. Feeling so lonely, I might have lost all hope. But my dog, Fluffy, was always at the door waiting for me. She seemed to know whenever I was sad or lonely. One time she even gave me a gift: an old bone. She must have thought the bone would cheer me up. Those bad times passed eventually, but they would have been a lot more difficult if it had not been for my faithful companion, Fluffy.

Hi
keannu
Can you give the reference to this example ?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi
keannu
Can you give the reference to this example ?
Sorry, It's from a workbook, I just typed it here, This is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.