Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
Hello everybody,

I have a first class BMus, an LRSM (Cello performance dip) and am currently doing a Masters in Psychosocial Studies in Birkbeck, University of London, which will be finished in September 2012, although I will then be going straight into another course in Goldsmiths, which will last until September 2013. During the period form now until September 2013, I want to gain a CELTA qualification, as I plan to move to Berlin in September 2013. I would like to have the qualification before I go, as I could build up some teaching experience and also because most of the language schools hire in September/October. I will be writing up my theses over this summer and next Summer, so I am finding it hard to think when I will fit in my CELTA course. Maybe I am just putting too much pressure on myself, as I want to do well in all my courses...

There area number of issues to consider:
(a) Whether I would just be better off waiting until after my two Masters to do the course then, possibly in Berlin, although if I had a CELTA qualification form the UK I think it would look really good.
(b) Where I might do the course in London (I am deciding between International House, UCL and Oxford House).
(c) Whether I might be able to do the course part time or in a sharp burst, full time.

I will discuss these points a little bit now:
(a) I would really love to get all my basic qualifications under my belt before I head to Berlin, but that thought might not be transferrable into reality? My plan is to work teaching English and music in Berlin for a year and to apply for a PhD in Freie University in Berlin in the second year. Do you think I am taking on too much with all this? I am very ambitious and can do anything I put my mind to, but it might be too much for my sanity?

(b) Does anybody have experience of the UCL CELTA course? They only run it full time and not that often, it seems, but the college has an excellent reputation. international House has a very good reputation (from what I have heard) and they offer part time and full time courses,as well as online (but I think I would rather do the full course face to face). However, IH costs a bit more than the other CELTA courses. I was thinking it might be possible to do the course from April to July 2012 part time, as my taught modules for my Masters would be over by that stage - I would just be working on my thesis, although I know there is a lot of work involved in that. Also, does anybody know about the Oxford House course?

(c) I think I've already answered this - part time would probably be the only feasible option if I were able to do it, although UCL offer a full time course for 4 weeks in July 2012, which may be possible, whilst doing my thesis (although probably not advisable!)

I hope I have explained everything clearly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Amusicum.

I can't give much advice, but can say something about a couple of your questions.

The question as to whether you are putting too much pressure on yourself is something only you can answer. CELTA courses are hard work - but they are short and, once they are over, that's it.

All CELTA course-providers are regularly moderated by Cambridge. I don't believe that a course taken in the UK has any more value or prestige than one taken elsewhere, though non-native speakers sometimes choose a UK course for the experience of being in an English-speaking country for a few weeks. Most employers are interested in the certificate, not in the course-provider, or in where the course was taken.

Whle Cambridge ensures that all courses satisfy their requirements, one particular course may be more/less attractive to some trainees than others. However, this often depends on the trainers who happen to be running the course at the time, and there is usually no way of knowing that in advance.

Amusicum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
Ok, thanks for that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
ps. While you are looking at courses, don't forget the Trinity CertTESOL, which is recognised by the British Council and Ofqual as being on a level with CELTA. CELTA is better known, and more often stated in advertisements as a required qualification, but most employers accept it.

Have a look at what the requirements for both qualifications are. They cover the same basic ground, but there are differences, and you may find that one is more interesting to you personally. If they are equally attractive, then you will at least have increased your choice of venues and fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.