Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it possible to use just the definite article with the word "accent" at all times when talking about someone's English? I mean can we say "He speaks with the American accent"? Or do we have to use "a", rather?
By "accent" I mean the brand of English one has been speaking.
Thank you in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is it possible to use just the definite article with the word "accent" at all times when talking about someone's English? I mean can we say "He speaks with the American accent"? Or do we have to use "a", rather?
By "accent" I mean the brand of English one has been speaking.
Thank you in advance.
Do you mean "dialect" rather than "accent"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say no. I can rattle off at least a dozen regional accents in the US, so there is no single accent.

However, even if there were only one accent, I'd still use "a" to mean "an accent that is American."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are many different American accents (accents which are used by American people), and many different English accents etc.

If you mean, for example, that someone says "sidewalk" instead of "pavement" then you simply say that they speak American English, not British English. Their accent is irrelevant.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, use "a" or "an." Even if the accent is well defined and singular, you still do not say "the."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are many different American accents (accents which are used by American people), and many different English accents etc.

If you mean, for example, that someone says "sidewalk" instead of "pavement" then you simply say that they speak American English, not British English. Their accent is irrelevant.

Good point. I was thinking pronunciation. Even so, whether you say "faucet" versus "tap" or "sack" versus "bag" will vary based on where in the US you are. I expect the same is true in other countries where English is widely spoken. (I mean, with the words that vary there, not necessarily faucets and bags.)

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Would that be a sort of mistake to say "He speaks American English", meaning the person was born and bred in the US and does pronounce the r's, for instance?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would that be a sort of mistake to say "He speaks American English", meaning the person was born and bred in the US and does pronounce the r's, for instance?
I would take it to mean that he uses distinctively American vocabulary and grammar. One can attempt to speak British English with an American accent, and American English with a British accent.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I think it's just fine to speak of an American accent in general. It will vary from Texas to New York, but it wouldn't be mistaken for London or Cardiff.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, there are American accents that don't pronounce the "non pre-vocalic r" -- I still answer to "Bob" after spending 15 years in New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.