I made constant trips to and from the hospital during breaks at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
By "I made constant trips to and from the hospital during breaks at work." ,did he go between his workplace and the hospital or the lab and the hospital? Are the three places involed here? The translation involves workplace, but I think "at work"'s work is related to laboratory's tests. When I was in Canada, I went to outside labs separated from hospital.
What do you mean by "slump foward"?

ex)I had been in and out of hospitals for blood tests for a week. One morning, I had to be at a laboratory at 7am. From there I made constant trips to and from the hospital during breaks at work. By 6pm, the painful needles made me feel like a pin cushion : my arms were bruised black. I needed a coffee. As I approached the hospital cafe, the waitress smiled at me, asking me for my order. "Just a coffee, please," I replied and then slumped forward....

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
By "I made constant trips to and from the hospital during breaks at work." ,did he go between his workplace and the hospital or the lab and the hospital? Are the three places involved here? Because this is so poorly written (or translated) it is impossible to tell if two or three places are involved (hospital, lab, and "work").
The translation involves workplace, but I think "at work"'s work is related to laboratory's tests. This could very well be the case, but given what is written, there is no way to tell for certain. Apparently, the tests were either injections or withdrawals of fluids requiring the skin to be punctured by needles throughout the day. Some tests for diabetes require blood samples to be taken (after having ingested a special sugar-based liquid) at regular intervals throughout the day. But, that is not your question. Good writing should not make the reader think about and analyze sentences and paragraphs like Sherlock Holmes. We know that the person speaking was at a lab at 07h00, that he went from the lab to the hospital, and that he went back and forth between the hospital and some other place during the ensuing day. At 18h00 he was back at the hospital, in the café.

What do you mean by "slump foward"? The person's torso (we must assume he/she was seated and not standing at the bar) bent forward from exhaustion.
To slump means: to sit, lean, or fall heavily and limply, especially with a bent back.

ex)I had been in and out of hospitals for blood tests for a week. One morning, I had to be at a laboratory at 7am. From there I made constant trips to and from the hospital during breaks at work. By 6pm, the painful needles made me feel like a pin cushion : my arms were bruised black. I needed a coffee. As I approached the hospital cafe, the waitress smiled at me, asking me for my order. "Just a coffee, please," I replied and then slumped forward....

John

Status
Not open for further replies.