Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: considering...

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 82
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    considering...

    How do the prepositions 'to' and 'of' change the meaning of the word 'considering'?

    1) considering to
    2) considering of

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 46,647
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: considering...

    What's the context?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 82
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: considering...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    What's the context?

    "Considering to apply to grad school" vs. "Considering of applying to grad school"

    Also, this just came to mind: I have also heard the preposition "on" used after the word as well. "Considering on applying..."

    I get very confused with prepositions sometimes.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,932
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: considering...

    Quote Originally Posted by smk View Post
    "Considering to apply to grad school" vs. "Considering of applying to grad school"

    Also, this just came to mind: I have also heard the preposition "on" used after the word as well. "Considering on applying..."

    I get very confused with prepositions sometimes.
    You don't need "to", "of" or "on". "considering applying" is correct.

  2. spongie's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 128
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: considering...

    But is it possible to use them in those sentences?

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: considering...

    No

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,453
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: considering...

    Quote Originally Posted by spongie View Post
    But is it possible to use them in those sentences?
    What sentences?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 82
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: considering...

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    You don't need "to", "of" or "on". "considering applying" is correct.
    Thank you, bhaisahab! You are probably right--it's just that saying the words back to back sounds a little off to me, but then again I'm no expert in being able to tell the difference between correct and incorrect. So, alternatively are these two correct:

    1) considering applying to...
    2) considering to apply...

  5. SlickVic9000's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,024
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: considering...

    (Not a Teacher)

    As a native speaker, I simply can't hear myself putting any kind of preposition after "considering". I would always use a participle or noun (He's considering applying to Stanford/ He's considering his options.). However, "consideration of" and "consideration for" are phrases you're likely to hear.

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,932
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: considering...

    Quote Originally Posted by smk View Post
    [

    Thank you, bhaisahab! You are probably right--it's just that saying the words back to back sounds a little off to me, but then again I'm no expert in being able to tell the difference between correct and incorrect. So, alternatively are these two correct:

    1) considering applying to...
    2) considering to apply...
    1) is OK, 2) is not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •