Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Madagascar
Current Location
Madagascar
it was a long time that I studied english. But there are many things that I can't manage when I use "get" in all its meaning. Why american get used to use it rather than british tends to use "have". Is there a different meaning?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, RALAIARINORO. :hi:

The title of your thread would have been better as Difference between American and British English. American English is one variety of English; British English is another.

it was a long time that I studied [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE] English.
Do you mean "It was a long time ago that I studied English" or "I have been studying English for a long time"?
But there are many things that I can't manage, for example, when I should use "get" in all its meanings. Why do [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Americans [STRIKE]get used to [/STRIKE]use it rather than [STRIKE]b[/STRIKE] British [STRIKE]tends to use[/STRIKE] "have". Is there a different meaning?
Speakers of both varieties of English frequently use 'get' in place of more specific verbs, sometimes in in similar way, sometimes not. If you have learnt Britsh English, then American usage will sometimes seem strange to you. British usage can seem strange to those who have learnt American English

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And if you put 5jj's amended title into the Search box at the top of the page you'll find links to many interesting discussions on this topic.

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why american get used to use it rather than british tends to use "have". Is there a different meaning?

Can you give an example of this?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wonder if you mean "got" and not "get."

My American view:
Have you got a pen? -- More likely to be used when you want to borrow it.
Do you have a pen? -- More likely to be used when a pen is needed. You'll have to fill out this form in blue or black in. Do you have a pen? No? You can borrow mine. However, I may be just as likely to use this when I want to borrow your pen too. Do you have a pen I could use for a moment?

I've got a pen. I have a pen. -- Either one could be used, but you're more likely to echo the tense used by the person who asked.

While "got" is the past of get, it means "to obtain" not "to have."
"Got" is its own word as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.