Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is this sentence all right? Especially the phrase "receive an injury".
Code:
You are bound to receiving minor injuries if you play hockey regularly.

Also, would there be a difference in the meaning if the sentence was formulated using the infinitive form? Like this:
Code:
You are bound to [B]receive[/B] minor injuries if you play hockey regularly.

I think that with the -ing form, the sentence says that the "receiving of injuries" is going to happen more than once, regularly perhaps, but I'm not sure about that.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this sentence all right? Especially the phrase "receive an injury".
Code:
You are bound to receiving minor injuries if you play hockey regularly.
:down: :-? The phrase isn't there - 'receiving' is wrong.

Also, would there be a difference in the meaning if the sentence was formulated using the infinitive form? Like this:
Code:
You are bound to [B]receive[/B] minor injuries if you play hockey regularly.

I think that with the -ing form, the sentence says that the "receiving of injuries" is going to happen more than once, regularly perhaps, but I'm not sure about that.
No. If you want to make that implication, you need to use a more explicit 'repetitive' word. For example:
Code:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]You are bound to [U]keep[/U] receiving minor injuries if you play hockey regularly.[/COLOR]

or something less formal, like:
Code:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]If you play hockey regularly you can bet you'll keep getting minor injuries [/COLOR]
or even

Code:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]If you play hockey regularly you'll spend your life in A&E[/COLOR]

b

Last edited:

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
All right. Thank you a lot.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
"Bound to receiving" is incorrect. "Bound to receive" is correct.

"I think that with the -ing form, the sentence says that the "receiving of injuries" is going to happen more than once, regularly perhaps, but I'm not sure about that."
Use of "regularly" at the end of your sentence implies that injuries will happen more than once.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Bound to receiving" is incorrect. "Bound to receive" is correct.

"I think that with the -ing form, the sentence says that the "receiving of injuries" is going to happen more than once, regularly perhaps, but I'm not sure about that."
Use of "regularly" at the end of your sentence implies that injuries will happen more than once.
I thought that "regularly" in this particular sentence referes to "playing hockey" and not to "receiving injuries". Isn't that so?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The clause "playing hockey regularly" indicates that you'll get injured often, not just the word playing. Please excuse me.

As you asked in your first question, using the present continuous (ing) does not indicate the frequency of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.