Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Canada
Dear teachers,

I'm a grad student in medical research. Can you please check if I have made any mistake (especially prepositional, articles and tense) in the following paragraph? I pulled a few sentences from a blog entry that I just wrote about my daily work. I am aiming to improve my English by writing more, but need someone to tell me if I make grammar mistakes. Big thank for your help!!!! :)

These days, I like to select articles from the Nature magazine and read their materials and methods. I do know that by reading more of the literature, I will get more ideas on how to do science “the proper way.” I just need to find the time and capacity to read.

Subaru

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

It looks pretty good. You don't need a "the" if "Nature" is the name of the magazine. You also don't need "of the" in front of "literature". Also, I'm not sure what you mean by having to find the "capacity" to read. You write well enough, so I'd think you would have the capacity to read English.

subaru0327

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Canada
Thank you SlickVic9000 :)

I work in a field which has very low tolerance for ESL grammar mistakes, and so I have been looking for methods to improve my grammatical accuracy. Thank you again for your generous advice! That really helps! With what you've pointed out, now I know I have to go back to reread ESL textbook chapters on articles! :) That's at least a place to start. One thing at a time!!

ps: By "capacity," I mean the capacity to internalize what I read.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I would just say:

"I just need to find the time and energy to read."

As in the energy that you would need to concentrate and stay motivated while reading. "Time and energy" is a common expression and sounds very natural to a native speaker.

subaru0327

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Canada
AH I see. Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.