I wrote the abbreviation "Dr." with "d".Big mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Dear English speakers,

Accidentally, I wrote, in a formal letter, the abbreviation ”Dr.” with “d” (dr.).

Is that a big mistake?

Thank you in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm afraid so - yes.

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Is it a good idea to re-send an E-mail stating my mistake, or not?

How to write my apologetic mail?

Could you please help me?

Postscript:

For example:

"Dear sir/madam

Because momentum I wrote your title wrong [...]"

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is it a good idea to re-send an E-mail stating my mistake, or not?

How to write my apologetic mail?

Could you please help me?
Probably not. Did you call the recipient of the letter "dr. Someone"? That is the only circumstance in which I'd consider drawing attention to my mistake.
Besides, if he or she is an academic, he's going to have read far worse from his students. He'll just assume it was a typo, or maybe he won't notice it. I don't see how you can expect to make things any better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with that. Don't draw attention to it. You've sent it now. I'm sure the recipient will either not notice or just assume it was a simple typo. I don't think many people would take serious professional umbrage at something that is clearly a mistake. Don't worry about it. Just get it right the next time you email him/her.

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Dear Raymott,

Thank you for your reply.

I will leave it as is. Hopefully it will not form a bad impression.

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I feel that I must apologise for the incorrect "dr."

Dear English speakers,

I am keep feeling that I must apologize to the professor for my incorrect "dr.".

Apart from the fact that my letter might seem silly, there is the need for me of making the best impression that I can. I am trying for admission.

Could you provide me with an example of apology? What I could write for correcting this mistake?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: I feel that I must apologise for the incorrect "dr."

Could you provide me with an example of apology? What I could write for correcting this mistake?
I have moved your post to this thread, Lennie. People may wish to look back at what has gone before.

If you were trying to impress that person in your letter, for example, if you were applying for a job, then your mistake may not have made a good impression at the time - if they noticed it - but that is now past.

To write a letter of apology for making one small typo would seem rather strange to the recipient. I would suggest that you try to forget the whole thing. The person concerned will certainly have forgotten it now.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Besides, imagine if you sent an apology for a misspelling or a typo, and your apology note included a misspelling or a new typo? It's a bad cycle to start.

A mistake like "dr." instead of "Dr." is minor. Calling someone "Mr." instead of "Ms." would be a bigger problem.

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Thank you all for your replies.

To be honest, in my letter with the mistake, I attached an html file regarding my TOEFL score. The professor asked me if I could provide her with my iBT scores in order for her to act for the prompt review of my application (I need as soon as possible a review because the demand of the Greek State Scholarships Foundation).

My iBT TOEFL total score is not very high, is 68/120. With this score and the mistake, I am starting to worry seriously for my impression (and for my admission).

Postscript:

Is a TOEFL iBT total score of 68/120 good enough?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Quite frankly, I do not think that one typo is going to cost you a scholarship.

You ask if your score is good enough. That depends entirely on the institution wanting your TOEFL score. Different institutions require different minimum scores for different purposes.

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece

By the way, does anyone know about the cost of living in the USA? I am interesting for the University of Tennessee.

My scholarship will be approximately 1070 euros per month (1400 dollars). Can someone live comfortable with the above money at Tennessee?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

By the way, does anyone know about the cost of living in the USA? I am interesting for the University of Tennessee.

My scholarship will be approximately 1070 euros per month (1400 dollars). Can someone live comfortable with the above money at Tennessee?

Is that ONLY for your living expenses? You don't need to use that for tuition, books, fees, etc.?

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Only for my living expenses.

The educational expenses will be covered separately (again from the Greek State Scholarships Foundation).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can look online for school-provided options, such as this page: UT Knoxville | University Housing

Students often find a way to live pretty cheaply. $4000 a semester would be almost $1000 a month. Most students can find off-campuses apartments that they share.

If you contact the financial aid office at your campus, they can provide a typical graduate student budget that includes realistic living expenses.

With $1400, you should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.