Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
The professor with whom I have communication, informed me today that my TOEFL score is low for admission I have also the FCE (she knows that) and she asked me to provide her with details about this certificate. I made an effort to make a reply.

Please help me to send a correct and of good written mail.

The mail which I wrote:

Dear Dr. ,

Thank you very much for your interest and the reply.

I am aware that my TOEFL scores are not very high. The circumstances (the limited preparation time and the other obligations), unfortunately, did not allow something better.

I found out in the web site of the University of Tennessee that the minimum iBT TOEFL score for the undergraduate students is 70. For the postgraduate programs I think is a bit higher.

I know that this might not help and also may be not necessary to be stated (and forgive me if I make wrong for stating), but I have in mind some Universities in the US that accepts TOEFL score of 68 and lower.

I have not ever attended lessons at the Uviversity of Cambridge. FCE is a proficiency test.

First Certificate in English (FCE), is a certificate of English proficiency that is offered from the University of Cambridge. According the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages) FCE is of B2 level division (B2 Vantage or upper intermediate).

In case, in first-order, I do not satisfy the TOEFL or English requirements of the University of Tennessee I would willingly re-take the test as necessary in order for me to meet the requirements.

Sincerely,

Postscript:

I would like to state that with my FCE only, I had managed in the past (before 6 years) to be admitted from a UK University (I can provide you with more details).

Moreover, I am sending you the pdf of my FCE certificate.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She asked you for details of this certificate. Leave it at that.
Dear Dr. ,

Thank you very much for your interest and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] your reply to my letter dated 30 December 2011.

[STRIKE]I am aware that my TOEFL scores are not very high. The circumstances (the limited preparation time), unfortunately, did not allow something better.
I found out in the web site of the University of Tennessee that the minimum iBT TOEFL score for the undergraduate students is 70. For the postgraduate programs I think is a bit higher.
I know that this might not help and also may be not necessary to be stated (and forgive me if I make wrong for stating), but I have in mind some Universities in the US that accepts TOEFL score of 68 and lower.
[/STRIKE]
The 'First Certificate in English' (FCE), is a certificate of English proficiency that is [STRIKE]offered from[/STRIKE] awarded by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations. According the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages) FCE is [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] at B2 level [STRIKE]division[/STRIKE] (B2 Vantage or upper intermediate). I am sending you the pdf of my FCE certificate
[STRIKE]
In case, in first-order, I do not satisfy the TOEFL or English requirements of the University of Tennessee I would willingly re-take the test as necessary in order for me to achive the requirements.[/STRIKE]

Yours [STRIKE]S[/STRIKE]sincerely,

[STRIKE]Postscript:

I would like to state that with my FCE only, I had managed in the past (before 6 years) to be admitted from a UK University (I can provide you with more details).[/STRIKE]

Lennie_ar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Dear 5jj,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I sent, approximately an hour ago, a more elegant version of the letter that I posted on the forum.

For the history I might not receive admission from the University of Tennessee.

The professor replied promptly, reporting that FCE is probably not recognized by the UT.

My scholarship was awarded on the condition the study begins in the academic year 2011-2012.

The professor talked about the fall semester but… I will not have the scholarship by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.