Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The basic meaning of "grade" is level or ranking, and in academic performance, they are "A B C D F", each of which means a ranking from the top to the bottom. When you say "grades", it's seems to be related to "A B C D F", or does it mean your GPA or just levels of each subject? I think "grades" is for your academic performance, but it doesn't give me that nuance, but a strong image of levels.

A : I hear your daughter's getting high grades.
B: Yes. Hiring a personal tutor paid off.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you ask your question more simply? I don't understand that basic point.

If someone say "May daughter is getting high grades" I would infer that she has mostly As in her various subjects on her report card. However, it could also be that she's getting scores of, say 97 or above, on her tests and papers, and the quarterly grade hasn't come out yet.

In my childrens' schools, they don't get an "A" or a "B" on an individual test or paper. They get a numeric grade. At the end of the marking period, those scores are weighted and averaged and a final number grade is calculated and the A, B, etc. is based on that number.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Could you ask your question more simply? I don't understand that basic point.

If someone say "May daughter is getting high grades" I would infer that she has mostly As in her various subjects on her report card. However, it could also be that she's getting scores of, say 97 or above, on her tests and papers, and the quarterly grade hasn't come out yet.

In my childrens' schools, they don't get an "A" or a "B" on an individual test or paper. They get a numeric grade. At the end of the marking period, those scores are weighted and averaged and a final number grade is calculated and the A, B, etc. is based on that number.

My curiosity was regarding its word-nuance like levels "A, B, C..:" but now it's clear, it's not necessarily that, it can be just performance like numbers or results.Thanks a lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.