Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece
Or, simpler, to keep you ready; to keep you prepared.

Aya wagieh fawzi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In the English language, the phrase "keep me on my toes" is called a "clichè". A clichè is any commonly used slang English phrase with an inferred or implied meaning. Sometimes they are traceable to some popular historical event or historical cultural era, and sometimes they've been around for so long that no one is sure where they come from.

"Keep me on my toes" is a clichè that means "keep me alert, aware, and prepared" so you will not get caught off-guard (off-guard is yet another clichè.

Although I could not find this particular clichè in my dictionary of clichès, I recommend that anyone who speaks English as a second language obtain this dictionary of clichès. I included a citation of the dictionary below, although I did not use it in this reply.

trptdavid

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Common phrases are called "expressions". They often times do not mean what is literally said. As stated by others here, "keep you on your toes" does not actually mean that you would actually stand on your toes, it's an expression that means stay alert. However, a "cliché" also implies that the object is "over-used". When something has become "Cliché" it has become trite, "Cliché" is french for "stereotype".

Status
Not open for further replies.