Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi I am an Indian Native. Although am fluent at English but my native language i.e. Hindi affects my American english accent ( although I can understand the latter quite easily but can't speak). Like I can sing an English song very easily but am deprived of the american accent which makes it lose the actual beauty of the song. The stresses are different in that language. How should I start my american accent training (keeping in mind i don't have american audience)?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't greatly recommend songs as a learning tool- stress and intonation may come second to the requirements of the tune and rhythm, just as the grammar and word order may be sacrificed to fit. Most communication is done by speaking and not singing, so focus on that. Do you record yourself speaking?

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you have access to audio books?

You can listen to speeches, newscasts, and poetry readings on the web.

Try to get a skype pen pal.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
Best way: take some accent reduction course and expand your knowledge of phonetics and phonology. Otherwise, you will end up wasting time reinventing the wheel (by all brute force methods).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think Raindoctor's got a good point about accent reduction- rather than trying to acquire another accent, work on the one you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.