• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Many questions.....

Dear all,

Please look at the following questions. These questions are from an English testing book. However, I feel that some of the questions aren’t very clear. (The writer isn’t a native speaker. By the way, I’m not a native speaker as well and I am not trying to challenge or laugh at the writer. However, my job is to selling these books so I do need to be responsible for my customers. )

1. Without companions, he stood alone _________ the street.
    (A) at (B) in (C) on (D) with
    The answer is (B), but why we can’t choose (C). In my understanding, people use both “in the street” and “on the street” and the meanings of them are pretty similar to each other. (I have read a website. It suggests “on the street” means “on the two sides of the street“ and “in the street” means “between the two sides of the street”.)
    In addition the search results from Google are like these:

“stood in the street”=> 27,100 from the web; 801 from the UK
    “stood in the street”=> 19,900 from the web; 310 from the UK
    “stood at the street”=> 402 from the web; 133 from the UK

2.She was in a bad mood, so she kept _______ for almost two hours.
    (A) laughing (B) happy (C) crying (D) nagging
    The answer is (C), but I think (D) is also a possible answer. If I don’t have bad memory “ in a bad mood” can mean both “sad” and “angry”, so (D) should be all right.

3. To solve problems wisely, we need a lot of patience and _______.
    (A) intelligence (B) smart (C) good luck (D) intelligent
    The answer is (A), the author’s explanation is because patience is noun, the word after “and” should be a noun as well. But how about (C)? Don’t we need “good luck” to solve problems sometimes?

4. After World War Two the Soviet Union took back most of the territory in Eastern Europe that had once been part of the Russian empire. It also set up Communist governments in the military ties __________.
    (A) with each other (B) one another other
    (C) with other (D) with one another
    The answer is (D), but why can’t we choose (A)?

5. and 6
    For some nations in Africa water is a very important source because it can be used to irrigate farmland. Many wars had occurred in the history for fighting for the ownership of water source. In recent times, those countries have learned how to build dams ____(5)____ the rivers to control the flow of the water. Some people regard these dams as necessary for irrigation; others worry that the dams may cause harm to plant and animal life, and even to farmland. In addition, governments have had disagreements ____(6)____ who controls the water and its use.

5. (A) along (B) against
    (C) besides (D) on
    The answer is (A), but I think (D) is also possible.

6. (A) on (B) in
    (C) over (D) with
    The answer is (C), but From the Oxford dictionary (A) is also possible.

8. Waves lapped _______ the side of the boat, and then turned it upside down.
    (A) on (B) at (C) against (D) around
    The answer is (C), but the search result from Google shows below:

“waves lapped against the ”=> 658 from the web; 71 from the UK
    “waves lapped on the” => 172 from the web; 22 from the UK
    “waves lapped at the” => 673 from the web; 123 from the UK
    “waves lapped around the” => 58 from the web; 4 from the UK
    “waves lapped the” => 569 from the web; 90 from the UK

Also, the explanation of “lap” as a verb from “Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English” is “if water laps something or laps against something such as the shore or a boat, it moves against it or hits it in small waves.” The other explanation from “Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners” says “if water laps against something, it moves against it gently with a soft sound.” Therefore, how can the “small waves”, “gently with a soft sound” ever turn a boat “upside down”?

9.When we looked at the picture we had taken in the famous spots, the memory of the scene was still _______.
    (A) vividly (B) clear (C) vivid (D) flash
    The answer is (C), but I think (B) is also fine. Is (B) exactly wrong?

10. Although a bee cannot talk, it communicates with its partners ________ dancing.
    (A) result from (B) by means of (C) end in (D) in the form of
    The answer is (B). Although this answer is right, but I think bees do use many different dances to communicate with each other, so (D) should be fine.

Before sunrise the next morning, Alan was on the beach. He had brought with him a basket full of all kinds of fresh ___(12)___. When his hungry friends saw him, they greeted in a friendly way. One man wanted to play a joke on Alan; he suddenly took the basket of fresh fruit and dived into the sea with it.

12 (A) fruit (B) fruits (C) fish (D) stone
    The answer is (A). I know when “fruit” is a general noun it is uncountable, but when “fruit” represent “different kinds” then it can be plural, so why (B) is incorrect?

I am sorry for asking too many questions at once. Thank whoever tries to figure them out for me in advance.

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Many questions.....

Hello Sula

I'll do a couple, and maybe other members will do the rest.

1. Without companions, he stood alone _________ the street.
    (A) at (B) in (C) on (D) with

"In the street" would be correct in British English. But it's possible that "on the street" would be ok in American English.

2.She was in a bad mood, so she kept _______ for almost two hours.
    (A) laughing (B) happy (C) crying (D) nagging

"In a bad mood" usually means "quite angry about something". "Nagging" is therefore the better choice, to my mind. (But sometimes people cry when they're angry!)

3. To solve problems wisely, we need a lot of patience and _______.
    (A) intelligence (B) smart (C) good luck (D) intelligent

We need good luck to solve problems sometimes; but if we need good luck, we can't be said to have solved the problems "wisely".

4. After World War Two the Soviet Union took back most of the territory in Eastern Europe that had once been part of the Russian empire. It also set up Communist governments in the military ties __________.

The second sentence makes no sense to me, with or without the missing words.

5. and 6

This text is quite poorly written:

For some nations in Africa [add comma]

water is a very important source [source of what?]

because it can be used to irrigate [what do you use to irrigate something, if not water?]

farmland. Many wars had occurred in the history for fighting for the ownership of water source. ] This sentence is bizarre in the extreme. It is at best ungrammatical.

In recent times, those countries have learned how to build dams ____(5)____ the rivers] "along" is ok.

to control the flow of the water. Some people regard these dams as necessary for irrigation; others worry that the dams may cause harm to plant and animal life, and even to farmland. In addition, governments have had disagreements ____(6)____ ] "about" is correct here. "On" would belong to a different register.

I hope that helps you with your decision!

All the best,

MrP