Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

I came across this phrase in an essay about Group Discussion process for MBA admissions. Could you please tell me the meaning? Does it mean a person speaking after another person completed speaking?

Here is the context:

"Avoid speaking in turn as it leads to an unnatural discussion. A GD involves a free-flowing exchange of ideas among participants. Even though there will definitely be chaos in most competitive GDs, as all participants will be keen to be heard, any suggestion of order, such as speaking, in turn, is unacceptable."

Thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

I came across this phrase in an essay about Group Discussion process for MBA admissions. Could you please tell me the meaning? Does it mean a person speaking after another person has finished speaking? Yes.

Here is the context:

"Avoid speaking in turn as it leads to an unnatural discussion. A GD involves a free-flowing exchange of ideas among participants. Even though there will definitely be chaos in most competitive GDs, as all participants will be keen to be heard, any suggestion of order, such as speaking, in turn, is unacceptable."

Thank you!
Bhai

bspkumar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not so sure. The writer is not against orderly discussion (where people 'take it in turns' to speak, and don't overlap). What's being discouraged is the sort of dicussion led by a question like "'What do you [delegate1] think?...'And what do you [delegate2] think?...'And what do you [delegate3] think?'..."

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It suggests some sort of sequence or order to me too in this context.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It suggests some sort of sequence or order to me too in this context.
Yes, I agree. I didn't read the question carefully enough. :oops:

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, "speaking in turn" suggests that people speak in the order of where they sit. They could be seated in a circle and the first one speaks, then one by one, go aroind the circle.

Yes, it can be very unnatural if you are trying to encourage a free-flow exchange or brainstorm or problem solve..

In other situations, it is necessary so that everyone gets to speak. This would be when reports that don't necessarily relate to each other are given, at a board meeting, for example.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My take is that the author finds that a sequence of 20 minute lectures, without conversational interruptions, is less effective than flexible dialogues in which there is more direct back-and-forth. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.