Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"The event, which celebrates its 30th anniversary, puts together two bull (male) camels with a female camel on heat nearby."

I found this above sentence and also found

"The event which celebrates its 30th anniversary puts together two bull (male) camels with a female camel on heat nearby." and I cannot feel any meaning difference between them except for "comma" behind the event.

could you tell me what is the difference between them?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The commas are necessary. A version without commas would be appropriate in a context involving several events with distinct anniversaries - not very likely:

Code:
The event which celebrates its 30th anniversary puts together two bull (male) camels with a female camel on heat nearby. 
On the other hand, the event which celebrates its [U]20[/U]th anniversary puts together only one bull (male) camel with a young
 female camel who is not on heat 100 metres away, and the event which celebrates its [U]10[/U]th anniversary puts together a 
small cat and a huge rat...

This sort of context is rare (if just conceivable by people with reality problems :)) so some people might feel that - if the sentence is short enough - the commas don't matter too much. I would disagree.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"The event, which celebrates its 30th anniversary, puts together two bull (male) camels with a female camel on heat nearby."
The words between the commas tell us more abouut the event. The commas act like brackets.

"The event which celebrates its 30th anniversary puts together two bull (male) camels with a female camel on heat nearby."
In that sentence, the words I have coloured red define the event. This is likely only if there are other events taking place, and these other events are not celebrating their 30th anniversary.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You two are great!! Sometimes I get confused because some native speakers say different answers to the same question.Thanks for getting me out of the long time trouble.:)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you :oops: - but I think 5jj's answer was more useful than mine. I thought it wouldn't be too helpful to talk about 'defining' and 'non-defining', but his post actually showed what 'defining' means.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.