• Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "I am good" or "I am well" ?

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    But in greetings, 'good' is clearly used as an adverb by many people.

How are you? -- Good, thanks.
    I disagree.

How are you (feeling)? - Well/good/happy/proud/disappointed.

They are adjectives in my opinion.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

shannico is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    Please bear with me a little longer on this.

Is there any reason, other than tradition or habit, for why many native speakers (particularly older ones) avoid "good" as an answer to the common question "How are you?" ?

I was hoping that perhaps "good" does not belong alongside "well" and "fine" because its application would lead to confusion or ambiguity (as explained in my previous post), but clearly failed to drum up much enthusiasm or following with my lame arguments .

I don't actually think good may be regarded as an adverb, with the exception of some adverbial phrases e.g. for good.

Good | Define Good at Dictionary.com

If you check out the above link, you'll see that the only one function it has as an adverb is as an informal usage of WELL.

Hope this helps.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off-topic here, but the second half of my signature, labelling is rarely important, is not totally irrelevant here, I think. Until this thread started, I would have answered "adverb", if anybody had asked me out of the blue what part of speech 'well' was in "I am well".

Now that I have thought about it, and realised that all other words that go in that slot are traditionally regarded as adjectives, I have decided that 'well' must be an adjective here. The dictionaries I have consulted agree.

But - does it matter what we call it?

Learners need to know that the normal response to the enquiry in BrE has been, and still is, for many of us, "I am well/fine/OK/depressed/etc". I am good", which appears to have been acceptable in AmE for a long time, is being used more and more in BrE. Whether these words should be labelled as adverbs or adjectives is not important, in my opinion.
    Last edited by 5jj; 08-Feb-2012 at 09:27. Reason: typo
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

JarekSteliga is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "How are you doing?" is a common question even though technically it makes no grammatical sense. I have one friend who always replies to that question with "How am I doing what?"

As with the rest of this thread, the answer is that you will hear "I'm doing good" a lot but the answer should be in the form of an adverb. "I'm doing well, thank you" which means the same as "I am well" but uses the same form as the question using "doing".
    Thank you. It was important for me to know that "How are you doing?" requires and adverb in answer. I had thought so, but prefered not to take it for granted after the multifarious views expressed in this thread sent me reeling.

And I am truly astonished why your friend refuses to accept and use "how are you doing?" simply as an idiom. Does he never use any?

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    Thank you. It was important for me to know that "How are you doing?" requires and adverb in answer.
    It does not require an adverb answer, particularly if that answer is one word - fine, OK, good, well, etc.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Slightly off-topic here, but the second half of my signature, labelling is rarely important, is not totally irrelevant here, I think. Until this thread started, I would have answered "adverb", if anybody had asked me out of the blue what part of speech 'well' was in "I am well".

Now that I have thought about it, and realised that all other words that go in that slot are traditionally regarded as adjectives, I have decided that 'well' must be an adjective here. The dictionaries I have consulted agree.

But - does it matter what we call it?

Learners need to know that the normal response to the enquiry in BrE has been, and still is, for many of us, "I am well/fine/OK/depressed/etc". I am good", which appears to have been acceptable in AmE for a long time, is being used more and more in BrE. Whether these words should be labbelled as adverbs or adjectives is not important, in my opinion.
    Please, do not discard labels! Without them I would never know whether to say "splendidly" in answer to "how are you doing?" or "excellent" as in answer to "how are you?". Remembering just one label attached to "how are you?" opens up a treasure trove of possible vocabulary to correctly answer the question

I hope you will not find me pushing it but I am genuinely perplexed to ... label this expression in terms of adverb/adjective identification:

"Never better"

My guess is it would fittingly answer both questions mentioned in this post.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

The original purpose of this thread was to dismiss the use of "good" on grounds that "good" is an adjective.

In the course of the discussion I was made to understand that "how are you?" does require an adjective and "good" is shunned by some native speakers for reasons which it is not particularly productive for an English student to dwell on.

I also wanted to identify adequate opposite numbers in English of my native expressions used in similar situations.

"Jak zdrowie?" = "how are you?" (answered in both languages with an adjective)
    "Jak leci?", "co słychać?" = "how are you doing?" (answered in both languages with an adverb)

Thank you all

billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "I'm good" seems to have snuck its way into BrE over the last few years. (And so has "snuck" )You're quite right, though, that the "proper" reply is something like "I'm [very] well, thank you" or "I'm fine, thanks". You will hear "I'm good" a lot but I wouldn't recommend using it in a formal situation.

In answer to your question, "good" is not an adverb.
    b.

TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JarekSteliga;852533]

CAUTION: NOT A TEACHER

(1) I just remembered that someone once commented on those Americans and

Europeans in the 19th and early 20th centuries who went to live in poorer areas

of the world.

(a) That "someone" said that although the majority of those travelers were sincere

people who worked hard to help the "natives," there were some

who went to do good but ended up doing well.

(i) "good" = good works. (an adjective)

(ii) "well" = lived in a very privileged manner. (an adverb)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post

My words: Thank you. It was important for me to know that "How are you doing?" requires and adverb in answer.

Your words: It does not require an adverb answer, particularly if that answer is one word - fine, OK, good, well, etc.

hmm...

In post #16 I read that it should.

One way of getting around the dilemma will be to use just these two words: well, fine.

Also I am beginning to think that any other word like "splendid", "excellent", "wonderful" would sound unnatural and pompous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast