Post Thanks / Like

Default difference pronunciation THREW, THROUGH and TRUE?

thank you for all ur replies on my other thread "difference pronunciation between flower and flour".

now, i have another problem, could u tell me if there's any difference in pronunciation between THREW, THROUGH and TRUE. sounds similar?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: difference pronunciation THREW, THROUGH and TRUE?

The first two are homophones, but the third is different because is starts with 't' not 'th'.

Post Thanks / Like

jenn21, try to write properly. For example:

thank you for all ur replies ... => Thank you for all your replies ...

u shudnt use chat language like dis when writin on newsgroups or webboards. it aint easy to read for many ppl. u can use it when u chat wiv ur friend on msn tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YTG
    jenn21, try to write properly. For example:

thank you for all ur replies ... => Thank you for all your replies ...

u shudnt use chat language like dis when writin on newsgroups or webboards. it aint easy to read for many ppl. u can use it when u chat wiv ur friend on msn tho.

SORRY, for being stupid.. what was i thinking? anyways, thank you for telling me, it will not happen again.. by the way it is 21's century and writing has evolved since the 1800's..SO I WOULD LIKE TO WELCOME YOU TO OUR MODERN SOCIETY... how old are u anyways? 70 or older? u dont sound young! this is what happen if old people like urself try to be cool. THAT'S NOT COOL.

Post Thanks / Like

No, you wasn't stupid. You just didn't know. But now that you know and you still doing it then it's something else.

No, I wasn't trying to be cool or young. I typed that last line to show you as an example of bad writing. Something which you still did it in your next post.

Try to write properly. Get started now. Begin a new sentence with capital letter, don't use ... (dot dot dot) unnecessarily, see how most people write, etc.

Also try not to say things like "old people". It could offend people. After all it's possible that the majority of people who are trying to help you or answering your questions here are that group of people.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Writing has indeed evolved since the 1800s, but if the form of writing you are using is exclusively for the young and older people look silly if they use it, then it is not a universal form of communication. On forums, people do generally write standard English because, unlike chats and messenger services, the messages stay around longer and are read by many people, so writing for a wider audience does make sense.