Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Australia
Hi People!

Please, I want to know about difference between invite and invitation.

Invite is a verb
Invitation is a noum

Correctly?

Why can't I use "Thank you for invite me"?

Invite in this case is a verb?

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

matheus.canela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Australia
But in this case, my teacher changed for "invitation", not "inviting" :(

I rewrite my PET Exam Teste, can you help me with my doubts?

PET Writing

How are you? Thank you for invitation[STRIKE] ( [a] invite)[/STRIKE] me, but my wife will go to her father’s house, and I need to go with her [STRIKE]( I need follow her)[/STRIKE], I’m sorry! What do you think about meetings [STRIKE]( [c] think to meet us on)[/STRIKE] next Sunday at [STRIKE]( [d] on)[/STRIKE] my house?

Matheus Canela

Questions
a) INVITE is a verb, why can’t I use in this phrase “Thank you for invite me”?
b) “I need to go with her” and “I need follow her” is the same?
c) What is incorrect in this phrase “What do you think t meet us on...”

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How are you? Thank you for invitation[STRIKE] ( [a] invite)[/STRIKE] me, (This is not correct. We can write, "Thank you for the invitation" or "Thank you for inviting me".) but my wife will go ('is going' is far more natural)to her father’s house, and I need to go with her [STRIKE]( I need follow her)[/STRIKE](It would have to be 'I need to follow her', but it is unlikely that this is what you want to say.), I’m sorry! What do you think about meeting[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]( [c] think to meet us on)[/STRIKE] next Sunday at [STRIKE]( [d] on)[/STRIKE] my house?

matheus.canela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Australia
Thanks man!

One more question.

Example if I want to say:

"Thanks you for go with me" - The same at "Thanks you for invite me"

Do I need put -ING if I use "FOR"?

"Thanks you for going with me"

Its a rule?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Thank[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] you for go with me" - The same a[STRIKE]t[/STRIKE]s "Thank[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] you for invite me"

Do I need put -ING if I use "FOR"? "Thank[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] you for going with me". Yes

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Invite is also a noun. It is mostly used informally as indicated by the link below

noun
Informal . an invitation.

Invite | Define Invite at Dictionary.com

So I wouldn't really mark it as a mistake if you used one word instead of the other. I've heard plenty of people say "Thanks for your invite" in the right context.

More importantly, I'd focus on using a possessive adjective or a definite article before invite/invitation, which is necessary in the example provided, e.g.

Thanks for your /the invite/invitation.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Invite is also a noun. It is mostly used informally as indicated by the link below

noun
Informal . an invitation.

Invite | Define Invite at Dictionary.com

So I wouldn't really mark it as a mistake if you used one word instead of the other. I've heard plenty of people say "Thanks for your invite" in the right context.

More importantly, I'd focus on using a possessive adjective or a definite article before invite/invitation, which is necessary in the example provided, e.g.

Thanks for your /the invite/invitation.
I'd have no trouble in marking this wrong in an exam where the correct form was expected.
I've heard plenty of people say "gonna" and "ain't". In an English exam, they're incorrect. I've also heard plenty of things that are demonstrably ungrammatical.
Many people can not or do not speak correct English.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Didn't I say its usage would depend on the context?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Didn't I say its usage would depend on the context?
And didn't Raymott give a context?

"I'd have no trouble in marking this wrong in an exam where the correct form was expected."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"But in this case, my teacher changed for "invitation", not "inviting" :( "

Isn't the context an exam in which the OP was marked (apparently) incorrectly?
People can say 'invite' for 'invitation'. This sort of slang comes and goes, but 'invitation' will always - for the foreseeable future - be the correct noun; and the correct answer if given a choice between 'invite' and 'invitation' in an exam.
In fact, I'm not sure that there is a context in which 'an invite' would be better than 'an invitation.'

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
As a non-native speaker I felt my addition to what had already been said and written was needed. I also thought its premise was clear enough in saying that a word like invite depends on the context it's being used.

Fair enough invite is a verb, but learners shouldn't be surprised if they happen to hear or read "Thanks for your invite!".
As a teacher I think it's helpful to broaden learners views on different usages of the same word. That doesn't necessarily mean encouraging them to use ungrammatical expressions.
If anything I'd be delighted if a student of mine wrote on a quick note to a friend "Thanks for your invite!" and "Thank you for your invitation" in a thank-you card to their friend's mum. That would mean not only were they smart enough to know the difference between a verb and a noun, but they brought it even to a higher level: they understood various pragmatic usages of the same word.

p.s. BTW I looked up ain't on Dictionary.com and its usage is regarded as non-standard, which is very different to informal.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ain't

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As a non-native speaker I felt my addition to what had already been said and written was needed. I also thought its premise was clear enough in saying that a word like invite depends on the context it's being used.

Fair enough invite is a verb, but learners shouldn't be surprised if they happen to hear or read "Thanks for your invite!".
As a teacher I think it's helpful to broaden learners views on different usages of the same word. That doesn't necessarily mean encouraging them to use ungrammatical expressions.
If anything I'd be delighted if a student of mine wrote on a quick note to a friend "Thanks for your invite!" and "Thank you for your invitation" to their friend's mum. That would mean not only were they smart enough to know the difference between a verb and a noun, but they brought it even to a higher level: they understood various pragmatic usages of the same word.

Yes, I don't want to argue with you over this. In Australia, our uptake of American (or British) novelties like this has a lag time of about 5 years. It's quite possible that there are enclaves throughout the world that use "invite" as a noun. But there remain many places in which it would be considered 'wrong'.
However, in no place at all in the English-speaking world is "an invitation" wrong. That's what (to me) makes it more correct. As another example, in AusE we don't generally use "gifting" as a verb. This is something that might or might not catch on.

There are some words which are in "the dictionary" simply because a minority of people use them that way, and the dictionaries are descriptive. If they're labelled informal, that probably means that these usages won't be understood or used everywhere in the English-speaking world. That is, they are not 'informal' everywhere. In some places they might have a formal status, and in others, they might not even be recognised as being correct at all.
I would interpret informal (in this case, and others I've notived) to mean "not used universally", rather than "used universally in an informal context".

I have noticed in learning Spanish that some words are used everywhere, and some are regional, or informal (but only in Mexico, for example). I'd like to think that the Spanish courses I'm doing are teaching me generally used words, unless thay are labelled as transient, trendy, regional, etc.

By the way, Australian novelty words take longer to reach the American dictionaries, but they occur too.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Neither do I want to argue. I was only giving my opinion from a different perspective: a non-native English teacher perspective.
Still, I don't think that the informal label in a dictionary is meant to indicate a local usage of a word.

informal:
1. not of a formal, official, or stiffly conventional nature: an informal luncheon
2. appropriate to everyday life or use: informal clothes
3. denoting or characterized by idiom, vocabulary, etc, appropriate to everyday conversational language rather than to formal written language
4. denoting a second-person pronoun in some languages used when the addressee is regarded as a friend or social inferior: In French the pronoun "tu" is informal, while "vous" is formal

Informal | Define Informal at Dictionary.com

Always a pleasure "arguing" with you! :-D

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Neither do I want to argue. I was only giving my opinion from a different perspective: a non-native English teacher perspective.
Still, I don't think that the informal label in a dictionary is meant to indicate a local usage of a word.

informal:
1. not of a formal, official, or stiffly conventional nature: an informal luncheon
2. appropriate to everyday life or use: informal clothes
3. denoting or characterized by idiom, vocabulary, etc, appropriate to everyday conversational language rather than to formal written language
4. denoting a second-person pronoun in some languages used when the addressee is regarded as a friend or social inferior: In French the pronoun "tu" is informal, while "vous" is formal

Informal | Define Informal at Dictionary.com

Always a pleasure "arguing" with you! :-D
Yes, I know what "informal" means. What I question is whether this is the best descriptor for these newly-formed and possibly ephemeral words. Maybe "experimental" would be better, or something that means "not quite integrated into the mainstream yet".

Status
Not open for further replies.