Thread: Of mice and Men

Nanatuha is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Of mice and Men

Dear all,

I read a book "Of Mice and Men" and have difficulty at the very last sentences.
    I quote from the book and it will be spoiler for who doesn't want to know story. So I take a space for a little.

Quotation from "Of Mice and Men"

Slim came directly to George and sat down beside him, sat very close to him. "Never you mind," said Slim. "A guy got to somethimes."
    But Carlson was standing over George. "How'd you do it?" he asked.
    "I just done it," George said tiredly.
    "Did he have my gun?"
    "Yeah. He had your gun."
    "An' you got it away from him and you took it an' you killed him?"
    "Yeah. Tha's how." George's voice was almost a whisper. He looked steadily athis right hand that had held the gun.
    Slim twitched George's elbow. "Come on, George. Me an' you'll go an' in get a drink."
    George let himself be helped to his feet. "Yeah, a drink."
    Slim said, "You hadda, George. I swear you hadda. Come on with me." He led george into the entrance of trail and up toward the highway.
    Curley and Carlson looked after them. And Carison said, "Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them two guys?"

Situation is just after an incident, protagonist George reluctantly killed his friend Lennie who has accidentally killed Curley's wife. Curley is a son of George and Lennie's boss. Slim and Carison are George's colleague.

These verb eating and who are two guys are my problem. It looks eat here doesn't mean to have a meal.

According my dictionary, eat have a meaning as "take somethin on trust" so I guess the last Carison's line means "Now you are taking George and Lennie(?)'s statement on trust?" Is it right?

Incidentally, can I ask is there a web dictionary which can look up to refer standard English about this dialect, if someone know?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Nanatuha; 12-Nov-2005 at 12:52.

hobbes is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Of mice and Men

The two guys are 'Slim' & 'George' as it is Curley and Carlson who are saying the last section when looking at Slim & George walk away.

'Eating' - If "What's eating you?" you are being asked why you appear to be upset or troubled. With worries on your mind. They are 'eating' away at your calm.

And Carison said, "Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them two guys?"
    And Carlson said, "Now what the hell do you think is wrong with Slim & George, they appear sad & deep in thought"
    Last edited by hobbes; 12-Nov-2005 at 14:12.

Nanatuha is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Of mice and Men

I see. The subject of to eat is not you (Curley) but actually "what" is the subject. What the hell is eating them. I've misunderstood that point.

Thank you hobbers, I got the sentence through your help.