Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Meaning

  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default Meaning

    Could you tell me what the meaning of this expression is?
    Im sitting in front of the telly WITH A TAKE AWAY.

    I also want to know the meaning of RIGHT THROUGH.

    Thanks, nat.

  2. #2
    Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Meaning

    Quote Originally Posted by EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    Could you tell me what the meaning of this expression is?
    Im sitting in front of the telly WITH A TAKE AWAY.

    I also want to know the meaning of RIGHT THROUGH.

    Thanks, nat.


    A TAKE AWAY is the same as TAKE OUT MEAL - it is food that is ordered from a restaurant or over the phone and eaten off the premises.

    Regarding RIGHT THROUGH, could you give a little more context please?
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Meaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    Could you tell me what the meaning of this expression is?
    Im sitting in front of the telly WITH A TAKE AWAY.

    I also want to know the meaning of RIGHT THROUGH.

    Thanks, nat.


    A TAKE AWAY is the same as TAKE OUT MEAL - it is food that is ordered from a restaurant or over the phone and eaten off the premises.

    Regarding RIGHT THROUGH, could you give a little more context please?
    Would that be some fish and chips, perhaps?

    :wink:

  4. #4
    Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "fish and chips" - yes! Or perhaps a take-away pizza.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Right Through means from beginning to the very end. I don't know of a meaning to do with take away food.

  6. #6
    Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It might "go right through you".
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeuch!

  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Right Through means from beginning to the very end. I don't know of a meaning to do with take away food.
    Maybe you do all your own cooking, eh?

    :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. UNDERSTAND MEANING...please help
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2005, 04:49
  2. "What's the meaning of the phrase?"
    By Cicily21 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2004, 14:46
  3. Meaning of phrases.
    By Piak in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-May-2003, 13:01
  4. the difference between Past & P.P. in the meaning
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2003, 16:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •