Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Hello all,

I wrote they can also withdraw anytime [from the study].

I was told that 'at' is necessary before anytime. Is this true? A must?

I thought anytime is an adverb.

thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'At' is not essential. 'Any time' - two words.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
CAUTION: NOT A TEACHER

(1) I have checked my books, dictionaries, and the Web. I believe that the following is

accurate.

(a) They can withdraw at any time from the study. (Prepositional phrase being used as an adverb to modify the verb "can withdraw.")

(b) They can withdraw any time from the study. (a so-called adverbial objective. That is, a noun phrase being used as an adverb to modify the verb.)

(c) They can withdraw anytime from the study. (An adverb that is considered good, informal American usage.)

NOTES:

(1) Maybe "anytime" is also used by Americans in formal writing. I do not know.

(2) Some people think that there is a difference in meaning between (a) and (b). I am

not qualified to comment on that topic.

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much

As an advanced ESL learner, I do have to voice my discontent how some native English speakers just love to 'over-correct' things we've written as if they were the only model but in fact there are so many grey areas in English and nothing is quite unanimous. It's not like we have L'Académie française or what. It's really discouraging to us aiming to fine-tune our English and take it to the next level.
haha, just letting off steam and explaining why I asked this in the first place

My tutor told me that 'at' was absolutely necessary. Anyway, I won't argue with him but after hearing from you guys, I don't quite think I'm in the wrong this time... fortunately

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As an advanced ESL learner, I do have to voice my discontent how some native English speakers just love to 'over-correct' things we've written as if they were the only model but in fact there are so many grey areas in English and nothing is quite unanimous.
In this forum, most people post material in the hope that corrections will be made. As we are aware that many people may be taking examinations such as FCE, IELTS, TOEFL, we tend, unless asked not to, to err on the slightly formal side.

However, the good thing about anybody being able to post is that our advice is not given as something that must always be followed. Members are free to ask people who have responded why certain things have been corrected, and others can come in to rectify wrong or misleading answers. If a response is not challenged, and if it has been 'liked' by two or three people you know to give accurate answers generally, then you can be pretty sure that the advice/information given in the post is sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.