Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

The Warwickshire Avon falls into the Severn here, and on the sides of both, for many miles back, there are the finest meadows that ever were seen. In looking over them, and beholding the endless flocks and herds, one wonders what can become of all the meat! By riding on about eight or nine miles farther, however, this wonder is a little diminished; for here we come to one of the devouring WENS: namely, CHELTENHAM, which is what they call a “watering place”, that is to say, a place to which East India plunderers, West India floggers, English taxgorgers, together with gluttons, drunkards, and debauchees of all descriptions, female as well as male, resort, at the suggestion of silently laughing quacks, in the hope of getting rid of the bodily consequences of their manifold sins and iniquities. When I enter a place like this, I always feel disposed to squeeze up my nose with my fingers. It is nonsense, to be sure; but I conceit that every two-legged creature, that I see coming near me, is about to cover me with the poisonous proceeds of its impurities. To places like this come all that is knavish and all that is foolish and all that is base; gamesters, pick-pockets, and harlots; young wife-hunters in search of rich and old women, and young husband-hunters in search of rich and wrinkled or half-rotten men, the former resolutely bent, be the means what they may, to giver the latter heirs to their lands and tenements. These things are notorious; and, Sir William Scott, in his speech of 1802, in favor of the non-residence of the Clergy, expressly said, that they and their families ought to appear at watering places, and that this was amongst the means of making them respected by their flocks! Memorandum: he was a member for Oxford when he said this!

poorboy_9

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
I think "it" refers to the act of "squeezing", but what do I know. By the way, where is this place...?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"It" refers to this: "I conceit that every two-legged creature, that I see coming near me, is about to cover me with the poisonous proceeds of its impurities".
Cheltenham is a spa town in the West Midlands of England.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you all.

What does "WENS" mean in "the devouring WENS"?

Status
Not open for further replies.