English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,

According to this statement, 'He could hear nothing. No dogs, no lights, no noises.'
Which question is correct?
a) Could he hear or see anything?
b) Could he hear or see something?

Thanks in advance

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about "What could he hear?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is practically the same as your 'Question on a Statement (3). Please be content with one thread for each question.

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
To 5jj

Hi 5jj,
'This is practically the same as your 'Question on a Statement (3). Please be content with one thread for each question.'

Well, not really.
This one was a wh-question or information question
What could he neither see nor hear?
And this one is a yes/no question
According to this statement, 'He could hear nothing. No dogs, no lights, no noises.'

Besides it, my question is on the indefinite pronoun 'anything' and 'something'.
Quite a different one if you compare them. Don't you think so?
I always try to be content with my questions. Did I ever do such a thing?

Learning54

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: To 5jj

Hi 5jj,
'This is practically the same as your 'Question on a Statement (3). Please be content with one thread for each question.'

Well, not really.
This one was a wh-question or information question
What could he neither see nor hear?
And this one is a yes/no question

Besides it, my question is on the indefinite pronoun 'anything' and 'something'.
Quite a different one if you compare them. Don't you think so?
I always try to be content with my questions. Did I ever do such a thing?

Learning54

Excuse me for butting in before 5jj has had a chance to respond, but I think I can see the point of the comment. Your new question, regarding "anything/something" does need to be in a separate thread.

Your question about "He could neither see nor hear ..." was answered, I believe to your satisfaction.

Once that has happened, if you have further questions, even if they're based on the same statement, then it's better to open a new thread. That avoids the possibility of people scrolling down through the first few responses on the original thread, thinking that it's all done and finished with and then clicking away from it, thereby missing your follow-up questions.

Does that make sense?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Re: To 5jj

Excuse me for butting in before 5jj has had a chance to respond, but I think I can see the point of the comment. Your new question, regarding "anything/something" does need to be in a separate thread.

Does that make sense?
Absolutely.

Your question about "He could neither see nor hear ..." was answered, I believe to your satisfaction. Yes it was!

Once that has happened, if you have further questions, even if they're based on the same statement, then it's better to open a new thread. That avoids the possibility of people scrolling down through the first few responses on the original thread, thinking that it's all done and finished with and then clicking away from it, thereby missing your follow-up questions.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It seems to me that L54 is trying, in this series of threads to find questions that will elicit specific answers. That being so, asking about different question-forms in different threads could lead to confusion and/or relevant answers to one question going unread because they are in the other thread.

If the question L54 wishes to ask is about the grammatical correctness of a particular form of question, that that can go in a separate thread - with an appropriate title, such as 'Could he hear anything/something?'. As this particular thread was the fifth in this series, I assumed that L54 was simply trying to find an appropriate question. It seems, from her response, that Barb thought the same. If the focus is now on the grammar, then that needs to be made clear.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It seems to me that L54 is trying, in this series of threads to find questions that will elicit specific answers. That being so, asking about different question-forms in different threads could lead to confusion and/or relevant answers to one question going unread because they are in the other thread.

If the question L54 wishes to ask is about the grammatical correctness of a particular form of question, that that can go in a separate thread - with an appropriate title, such as 'Could he hear anything/something?'. As this particular thread was the fifth in this series, I assumed that L54 was simply trying to find an appropriate question. It seems, from her response, that Barb thought the same. If the focus is now on the grammar, then that needs to be made clear.

Hi 5jj,
I always learn, the most from my mistakes. Just give me the time and the space to do it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
@ L54. The mistake was partly mine in that I misunderstood the point of this thread. I have now shown one way in which such misunderstanding can be avoided.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
@ L54. The mistake was partly mine in that I misunderstood the point of this thread. I have now shown one way in which such misunderstanding can be avoided.

Hi 5jj,
Thank you so much. Sure you have! Explanations are the very best way to feel comfortable. :-D

Best,
L54

Status
Not open for further replies.