[Grammar] subject-verb agreement with ()

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardJWilk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wrote the following online comment about a proposed project called "Viaduct Greene" :

"Greene (and Towne, and Olde, and Pointe) is for realtors."

Is "is" correct or should it be "are"? Do parenthetical comments count when considering subject-verb agreement?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wrote the following online comment about a proposed project called "Viaduct Greene" :

"Greene (and Towne, and Olde, and Pointe) is for realtors."

Is "is" correct or should it be "are"? Do parenthetical comments count when considering subject-verb agreement?

I would prefer "Greene (along with Towne, Olde and Pointe) is for realtors". I have no idea what it means though!

HowardJWilk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your input. Developers use spellings like "towne" and words like "estates" to make it sound like their developments are hundreds of years old and are on land formerly (or still) occupied by old-money upper-crust types. There's also a joke that developments are named after the geographic features that had to be destroyed to build the developments.

HowardJWilk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, now I see you're in the UK. Maybe that's not the practice in the UK. Here in the USA, developments are often named after places that are in the British Isles or sound like they are.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But "Greene is for realtors" - does that mean that the houses in the development can only be bought by people whose profession is "realtor"? Does it mean that the development would be a good investment for a realtor?

HowardJWilk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry. I should have written "developers" from the start, rather than "realtors". I'm referring to language that developers use to name their developments to make them sound more appealing to the buying public.

You can see this sort of thing going on in the movie Glengarry Glen Ross. Good movie.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But "Greene is for realtors" - does that mean that the houses in the development can only be bought by people whose profession is "realtor"? Does it mean that the development would be a good investment for a realtor?
It's the word , or rather the spelling 'Greene', that is 'for' realtors or developers in the way that 'plump, luscious, hand-picked and individually selected' are the nauseatingly selected adjectives 'for' menu-writers when they wish to describe a spoonful of boiled frozen peas.

HowardJWilk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm new to this forum so please let me know if I'm cluttering it up with trivia. If so, I'll stop.

As you may know, pea is a back formation from pease, which was not plural but was taken to be.

I was speaking with my barber today, and, noting that pant for the item of clothing is common in the fashion industry but nowhere else, asked her if she had ever heard scissor or shear in her trade. She had not.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm referring to language that developers use to name their developments to make them sound more appealing to the buying public.

That's right. It's common in the USA to see developments with such names as Crowne Pointe and Towne Shoppes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Greene, like Towne, and Olde, and Pointe, is for developers."
"Greene -- like Towne, and Olde, and Pointe -- is for developers."
"Words like Greene, Towne, Olde, and Pointe are for developers."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's right. It's common in the USA to see developments with such names as Crowne Pointe and Towne Shoppes.

In the UK, an extra "e" is frequently added to the end of words, and spellings are changed, to make them look as if they are from a bygone age, in an effort to give them a history they do not have.

Christmas Fayre (instead of Fair)
Ye Olde Sweete Shoppe (The Old Sweet Shop or Candy Store)

In many cases, the words used didn't even exist at the time they are meant to represent.

HowardJWilk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To much of the English-speaking world it's the usual spelling, but here in the USA one can add "Centre" to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.