Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Which is correct? Or are they all fine but semantically a bit different from each other?

When we experience things we don't know, we may be able to broaden our minds.
When we experience things we haven't known, we may be able to broaden our minds.
When we experience things we didn't know, we may be able to broaden our minds.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Which is correct? Or are they all fine but semantically a bit different from each other?

When we experience things we don't know, we may be able to broaden our minds.
When we experience things we haven't known, we may be able to broaden our minds.
When we experience things we didn't know, we may be able to broaden our minds.
The first and the third are both OK and mean the same. The second is not wrong exactly but it's not natural.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Isn't the first one logically improbable?

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Because when you experience something, I guess you know it.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Because when you experience something, I guess you know it.
If you have a new experience, it's something that you hadn't experienced before.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I mean you are not in the state of not knowing it at the time you experience it

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The time of not knowing it does end as you BEGIN to experience it, yes, but we say it that wall all the time. As I land at Heathrow, I can say "I've never been to England before."

In fact, I can say that throughout my entire two-week vacation there. "This is a marvelous trip. I can't believe I've never visited England before!"

It's understood that the "I haven't" refers to prior to the start of this experience.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The time of not knowing it does end as you BEGIN to experience it, yes, but we say it that wall all the time. As I land at Heathrow, I can say "I've never been to England before."

In fact, I can say that throughout my entire two-week vacation there. "This is a marvelous trip. I can't believe I've never visited England before!"

It's understood that the "I haven't" refers to prior to the start of this experience.

OK. So the second one with the present perfect sounds fine.

What about the first one with the present tense, Barb?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I think I find the first one illogical, while Bhai finds the second one the least natural, so it just goes to show you that it simply depends on what your perspective is at the time you say it, think about it, or experience it.

Are you looking at yourself then, but thinking about a time before? Are you thinking about yourself now, after having had the experience, so that your time of not knowing and your time of experiencing are both past? Tenses are more flexible than many people might expect them to be, and which one(s) you use will depend on where you mind is at the time you utter those words.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When we experience things we don't know/haven't known/didn't know, we may be able to broaden our minds.

I have been following the thread with interest, unable to decide which I find the most natural. I have finally realised that I find none of them natural. It's not the tense, but the combination of not-knowing and then experiencing 'things'; it just doesn't work for me.

I think we can experience things we haven't met/encountered/experienced, etc before, and we can possibly experience the unknown (though there is only one citation in COCA, while there are thousands of other words that are experienced). However, I don't think we can know (or not know) things we can experience.

This is just a personal feeling.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Well, I think I find the first one illogical, while Bhai finds the second one the least natural, so it just goes to show you that it simply depends on what your perspective is at the time you say it, think about it, or experience it.

Are you looking at yourself then, but thinking about a time before? Are you thinking about yourself now, after having had the experience, so that your time of not knowing and your time of experiencing are both past? Tenses are more flexible than many people might expect them to be, and which one(s) you use will depend on where you mind is at the time you utter those words.

OK. And at least, the past tense here works for both of you. Good.

Thanks, Barb!

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
When we experience things we don't know/haven't known/didn't know, we may be able to broaden our minds.

I have been following the thread with interest, unable to decide which I find the most natural. I have finally realised that I find none of them natural. It's not the tense, but the combination of not-knowing and then experiencing 'things'; it just doesn't work for me.

I think we can experience things we haven't met/encountered/experienced, etc before, and we can possibly experience the unknown (though there is only one citation in COCA, while there are thousands of other words that are experienced). However, I don't think we can know (or not know) things we can experience.

This is just a personal feeling.

If it was 'When we experience things that we were not familiar with...', would it sound better?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If it was 'When we experience things that we were not familiar with...', would it sound better?
I am happy with 'not familiar with', but in that specific sentence, my first choice would be '.. that we are not familiar with'.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Right. If you are in the process of experiencing something, it can possibly be that you are not yet familiar with it. That's understandable.

Hmm...as far as I can see here in the discussion, it doesn't seem that the combination of 'experience things' and 'things we don't/didn't know' sounds clearly wrong to everybody.

But after a while, to some it might begin to seem wrong. I see. Interesting.

Last edited:

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
[/I]I have been following the thread with interest, unable to decide which I find the most natural. I have finally realised that I find none of them natural. It's not the tense, but the combination of not-knowing and then experiencing 'things'; it just doesn't work for me.

I feel the same as 5jj here.

Taka,

In the sentences, I would pair "experience" with "experience" and not "experience" with "know".

e.g. ...experience things we haven't experienced before....

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Also, maybe it’s possible to broaden our minds by experiencing something for the first time that we have known about before – eg. love, sex, integral calculus?

Status
Not open for further replies.